Pushrod length??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-1999, 02:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pushrod length??

I have a question... I'm in the process of building a 400M. My intetions are to shave the heads .025, now in turn, I will have to take that same .025 out somewhere else in the valve train.

My question, is where is the best place to remove that material? Some people tell me to remove the .025 from the tops of the valve stems, however, my machine shop is hesitant to do so. They're affraid that the valves may not be hardened through, but only "case hardened", and by removing .025 they may get into the softer part of the valve.

They tell me the best way to go about it, is to order new pushrods minus that .025. Anyone done this before? suggestions? comments?

Thanks in advance!
SteveT

Old 08-19-1999, 06:20 AM
Lightbulb

SteveT. Shorter pushrods is the way I would go they are not that expensive either. I know .025" is a small amount but are you going to have to mill the intake manifold at all?

------------------
99 F150 XLT Silver 2WD S/C 4.2 5-speed, Superchip, Flowmaster muffler // Rear door switch guards - check them out at http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/show/5031

Old 08-19-1999, 02:31 PM
Darin, from what I understand, I will not need to mill the intake manifold at all. The gaskets should squash down enough to make up the difference. I guess I'll know for sure when I attempt to install the manifold. As long as all the bolts go in realively easy, I'm all set!

SteveT

------------------
1980 F-150 4X4 400M C-6

Quick Reply: Pushrod length??