5.4l trouble!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4l trouble!!

i recently posted about my f150 losing a lot of oil in a short period of time. well... i took off the air intake tube and there was a lot of oil inside the throttle body which means quite a bit would be in the intake. i also looked at the coolant and there is oil in it no doubt about it. does this mean rings? pcv valve moves freely so i dont think its bad. i need help please! thanks a lot

Old 01-04-2012, 10:48 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year of truck?

Old 01-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only way I know oil could get into the coolant would be across the the head gasket or in the oil filter adaptor where the coolant runs though there it could have a bad gasket or pinhole in the aluminum.

Are you still running the stock airbox and tube to the TB?

Old 01-04-2012, 07:36 PM
the truck is a 2000 and yeah i do have the stock air box. if it was a head gasket would there be oil in the valley underneath the intake or is that just in some cases?

Old 01-04-2012, 10:50 PM
I would have to say head gasket? Rings? Valve? My guess would be combustion gasses are getting into the crankcase, causing excessive blow by through the pcv system. Maybe through the rings, I dunno. And from what you said, into the coolant. Same as if gasses were getting into the coolant and forcing coolant from the reservoir.

Might be time to hydrocarbon test the coolant and compression test the cylinders.

BTW, try to keep all your posts regarding the same issue, in the same thread so it is easier for some to follow

Other thread:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...using-oil.html

Originally Posted by mxhondacr250mx
the truck is a 2000 and yeah i do have the stock air box. if it was a head gasket would there be oil in the valley underneath the intake or is that just in some cases?
There are several ways a head gasket can fail. Some of them leak externally with no internal compromise.

Last edited by Toyz; 01-04-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depending on where on the head gasket it was leaking it could end up with some oil in the valley but not necessarily. I'm still stumped about the oil in the intake and TB area. I think Toyz is correct with his diagnosis that you have a bad exhaust valve or rings since I can't explain the oil in the TB area due to the headgasket. If it was just in the coolant I woudl say headgasket but not with it also in the intake/TB.

Old 01-08-2012, 10:08 PM
okay thanks a lot guys i will do a compression test and see if the rings need to be done.

Quick Reply: 5.4l trouble!!