Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-1999, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck was still under warranty when the O2 sensors were replaced so I don't know what the dealer charges. However, you can get the sensors at www.carparts.com for around $50 each. Seems high, but then again, I don't have anything to compare against. Good luck.

Old 07-12-1999, 03:24 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear Bill Murray,

I'm glad to hear the magic Texaco fix worked to help your idle. It's not surprising to me that it worked that quickly on your vehicle, due to it being brand new, it had no real deposits that had to be cleaned over a period of time, but instead, it responded right away, which is exactly what should have happened in your case.

Congratulations!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 07-23-1999, 11:45 PM
I have a 97 f-250 5.4 with 24000mi. It too has a rough idle problem, everytime i drive it when i pull up to a stop it will idle very rough. I talked with the dealer about it and they say that it's a computer problem and that they are having the same problem with all of their engines and there is no fix as of now. I have tried going up in octane at the pump with no difference.
any one out there have any ideas??

Old 07-24-1999, 04:52 PM
Angry

acinspector: Boy, I'd be pissed too but not as much at the truck. Mostly these trucks are well built and when things go wrong there's a fix. What really gets under my skin are service depts. They should be able to put that truck on their computer and it should tell them what's up with your truck. And they fix it, NOW. Not 4 to 5 days from now. They should at the least be able to tell you now what's wrong and if they have to order parts. You also mention you just got your first payment. Meaning this truck is used and you just got it??? Makes me wonder if the service dept may have known something was up with your engine when you took it in for ruff running and were "putting you off"?? OK, I'm venting.
You most likely have a very good truck but you're having a very bad experience with it (that I think the service dept is making worse). Best of luck getting it fixed. Call the service dept morning and evening for progress reports. BUG THEM (nicely of course)

[This message has been edited by Tina (edited 07-24-1999).]

Old 07-25-1999, 12:04 AM
Well since i posted my message yesterday something funny happened...my power has also dropped off and the check engine light has come on..All the same day as i got my first payment due in the mail!! 24000mi stock truck ..called the dealer and they said bring it in and we shouldnt have it more than 4 or 5 days!! Maybe i should have bought a Chevrolet?? sorry but yes i'm P.O.

------------------
Randy
dlmech@aol.com
stock 97 F-250 supercab lariat 5.4

Old 07-25-1999, 09:36 PM
Another chapter..I drove the truck all day today and ..NO light!! What's up with this? do these check engine lights come on at random sometimes and then reset themselves?
should i still have the dealer check it out or just keep on driving till it comes on and stays on?
also i was told the computer "learns" your driving habits, does this mean after i drive it and then my wife drives it for a day and "babies it" that it will have to relearn my habbits? if so how long does it take to learn?
Sorry about the long post..

------------------
Randy
dlmech@aol.com
stock 97 F-250 supercab lariat 5.4

Old 07-26-1999, 10:01 AM
Red face

ACinspector: You're not giving enough info: I'm guessing you bought this truck used and that you have a warrenty still in effect...
As far as I know, the ck engine light does not reset itself unless you cut power to it. You said something about power, was it a complete power failure? Truck turned off?? Take it to your service manager and tell him your problems. Have him ck out the truck. Personally I would call first and talk w/service. See about an appointment so your time isn't wasted!! Find out how long to ck truck. Then if parts are required, how long to order and install. And can you drive your truck in the mean time???
Yes, the computer is a continous learning one. But I don't think your wife driving it and then you driving it will cause any relearning that would be noticable!! Unless one of you is driving WOT at every light!!!

[This message has been edited by Tina (edited 07-26-1999).]

Old 07-26-1999, 05:27 PM
Wink

FYI
The owners manual for my 99 advises that if you are having idle problems you should try swiching brands of gas, AND to steer clear of premium fuel (especially in the U.S)
as super unleaded may make the rough idle more pronounced. Hope that helps.

Old 07-26-1999, 11:18 PM
acinspector,

First off, get yourself another dealership for service. 4-5 days is flat out unacceptable for anything. I wont even let a dealer keep my vehicle overnight and thats the first thing we iron out. As far as the check engine light going out, I believe there are two types of failures that can cause the light to go on in the first place. First is an intermittent failure, which will cause the light to come on and then go out if the failure is not detected again or goes away. Second is a hard failure in which the problem can not go away because something in the system has totally failed. Sounds like you have an intermittent problem, but I would have a different dealer check it out, unless your dealer agrees to have the truck back to you by the end of the business day. If they tell you they cant, thats a load of crap.

Old 07-27-1999, 10:30 AM
It is possible for the check engine light to be on one day off the next. When the light comes on, the computer should store a trouble code and hold the code in memory for a certain number of "startup" cycles. On my '93 I think its around 25, but I'm not sure and its probably different on the newer trucks. Take to a dealer.

------------------
'93 Regular Cab XLT Shortbed, 5.0, K&N, Borla, 160,000 miles; Future SuperCrew owner.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:15 PM
Rough Idle Gone!

Originally Posted by INDY
I have the same experience. Mine is on a 5.4 and tried everything. Changed plugs, using different gas,fuel injection cleaner. I had this idel problem before adding the superchip and still have it after adding the superchip.

------------------
97 F150 XLT, 5.4, EXTANG, SUPERCHIP,EDELBROCK SHOCKS,REAR SLIDER, GIBSON CAT-BACK,BOSCH +4,HELLWIG SWAY BAR,AIRAID.
Take the Vac line off of the EGR. If the engine runs good then the EGR is bad, Or the cheaper fix, The vacuum control valve. Located in the middle of the block at the rear. You can follow the vac line around the rear of the motor to the controller. To test the vac control take the elect plug off of it, Start it up, If you still have vacuum at the EGR line, The vacuum control is bad. It sells for around $40.00.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Take the Vac line off of the EGR. If the engine runs good then the EGR may be bad, Or the cheaper fix, The vacuum control valve. Located in the middle of the block at the rear. You can follow the vac line around the rear of the motor to the controller. To test the vac control take the elect plug off of it, Start it up, If you still have vacuum at the EGR line, The vacuum control is bad. It sells for around $40.00.

Last edited by perry211; 10-19-2009 at 08:20 PM. Reason: to quote the cheap fix
Old 10-22-2009, 03:34 PM
rough idle

I have the same truck, bought it used a few monthes ago. I just recently had a rough idle. I changed all fluids, filters, pcv valve (they all needed done anyway). still a rough idle. I had a guy at work check it out and followed the hose from the pcv valve to the front of the engine. There was a crack in a rubber elbow piece. Probably a $5 part damaged causing all the problems. Vacuum leak.......all better now, runs like a top! I was about to head to the shop and replace plugs, egr and maybe o2 sensors!!!

Old 10-22-2009, 04:33 PM
My truck has 66,500 on the odometer and I have been going out of my mind trying to find my rough idle problem, changed the plugs, used di-grease on the boots, changed pcv valve, checked pcv and other vacuum lines, checked IAC, EGR, EVR, all for nothing. The other day I stopped at a BP to get gas and the next day it seemed to be idling better, but still not smooth. It still feels like a slight miss. The other issue I deal with is a vibration off idle to 1500rpms or so. If you try to just slightly rev it up in park, it wont, it either jumps to 1800-2000 or it stays at idle. I suppose my tps sensor may be out of adjustment, that is next on my list. Other than that it runs great, and has great power.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:30 PM
Searching for idle

Originally Posted by Truckin_98
My truck has 66,500 on the odometer and I have been going out of my mind trying to find my rough idle problem, changed the plugs, used di-grease on the boots, changed pcv valve, checked pcv and other vacuum lines, checked IAC, EGR, EVR, all for nothing. The other day I stopped at a BP to get gas and the next day it seemed to be idling better, but still not smooth. It still feels like a slight miss. The other issue I deal with is a vibration off idle to 1500rpms or so. If you try to just slightly rev it up in park, it wont, it either jumps to 1800-2000 or it stays at idle. I suppose my tps sensor may be out of adjustment, that is next on my list. Other than that it runs great, and has great power.
I may have not noticed in the list. Did you change your fuel filter, And try cleaning the idle control valve on the throttle body. Mine just has 2 philip head screws holding it in. Don't loose the O ring. Good luck. Perry

Quick Reply: Rough Idle