What is a knock and what is a ping?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-1999, 03:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post What is a knock and what is a ping?

I don't know when people say that their engines will knock or ping. What does it really sound like so I would know if mine is doing the same thing. The sound that my engine make is different from what I hear compared to a Dodge 92 Caravan and a Honda 98 Accord (other vehicles I have significant hours with) where their's is louder (especially on the Accord) while the F-150 is relatively quite, sometimes I need to look at the tach to make sure the engine is indeed on. Also instead of the VROOM, I get little TAKA-TAKA-TAKA. Are those pings and/or knocks? If so what are their effect on the engines?

Old 07-21-1999, 11:32 PM
When we refer to a Knock or Ping noise it is essentially the same thing. It is not a natural engine noise. It sort of sounds like someone pulled out the spark plugs and dumped some BB's into your cylinders. Thats the best way I know to describe it, maybe someone else can do better. Oh yeah, the noise only occurs when the engine is under load.

Old 07-22-1999, 12:08 AM
As Scroker said, The knock is normally heard while the engine is under load and has a rattle sound to it. The TAKA-TAKA-TAKA might be a miss or possibly the injectors you are hearing which sound more like a TICKA-TICKA-TICKA which is normal (and quite loud on the newer rigs)

------------------
99 F150 5.4 4x4 ORP 3.73 styleside deep wedgewood blue ..no mods (yet)

Quick Reply: What is a knock and what is a ping?