vct? ripoff? help

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy vct? ripoff? help

hi fellow members!

just thought i would throw this up for some help!
My brother has a 2006 5.4 F-150 that has been playing him up.
it is now sitting in a ford dealers after going in for some checks.
they came back with a misfire code and cylinders 5 and 6 coils not working
also claim 3 of the others are weak..
just over $700 for new coils! but now they have stated that the right VCT solenoid is sticking! (not getting a fault code) and want a further $2200 for said part and fitting!!
after doing a little research i am of the understanding they are like $130 each and not to bad a job to replace!
BUT! fords have now said i dont know what im talking about and to change the solenoids they have to remove front of engine and are changing some tensioners whilst in there!!!!!!!!! ok now they did lose me at this point as i dont know what they are changing but they assure me it is the VCT solenoid
anyone have any idea what they are on about and why its so freaking dear!
Gordon

Old 07-03-2011, 02:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RUN, do not walk, I repeat RUN from that dealer. Notice anything funny about that guy??? Could you poke him in both eyes with one finger? I believe his eyes are too close together.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cam Phasers

The dealer has made an error somewhere. He is looking up " VCT" cam phasers at around $2200 parts and labor (This cost is a little high but well within the "book" price for this job). The "VCT" solenoid should be around $ 400 without the diagnostic fee. ($260 parts and $140 labor MAX). Either way, if the service person is that confused or doesn't know the difference, take the advice from code58 - RUN.

Quick Reply: vct? ripoff? help