Tons of A/C Condensation!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:43 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tons of A/C Condensation!!!!

So I've got a new 'something going on' with the truck I've never seen before??!!??

I'm getting A LOT of water/condensation from the air conditioner these days. A substantial amount more than I've ever noticed in the past. It runs out on the ground on the right hand side from up above the frame rail...I can't see where or from what component it's coming from. I looked at the condenser and it doesn't seem to be covered in condensation, but mine has like a neoprene sock or something on it so hard to tell. Just did a road trip yesterday and water was actually dripping in on my feet underneath the dash! I didn't lay down and look under the dash, but you could run your hand up in there and it was definitely getting wet.

A/C works pretty good. Not what I'd call great compared to some other cars, but good...as good as it's always been. No problems, and there's been no decrease in cooling capability since this started. Cooling is just as efficient as it was before I noticed all the water.

I've done nothing to the truck that would affect the A/C and for FYI, the A/C has never been serviced.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:50 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you need to clean out the drain and its normal condensation as long as what were seeing in there is not antifreeze. Didnt you move from California to somewhere back east? Probably the humidity is causing the condensation build up your not used to. Shouldnt leak in the cab. there is a drain hose on the passenger side there clean it out.. Its probably stuck up..

Old 06-29-2011, 10:14 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool...I'll look for that. Yep, I moved from Cali to St Louis...tons more humidity. But this is my second summer here and never noticed this last year. And yes...not antifreeze!!!!

Old 06-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Cool...I'll look for that. Yep, I moved from Cali to St Louis...tons more humidity. But this is my second summer here and never noticed this last year. And yes...not antifreeze!!!!
maybe the drain got clogged this year. The AC can pull quite a bit of moisture out of the air..

Old 06-29-2011, 11:09 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
drain is behind the passenger head on the firewall behind a plastic porkchop shaped cover

dont go crawling back there with a hot engine

Old 06-29-2011, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most likely culprit is a clogged drain. Mold can build up in it, blocking it.

However, in very humid climates (think the Gulf Coast,) water can condense on the outside of the A/C ductwork and drop as well. It's not as common, but it does happen. Make sure whatever is dropping is coming from the inside of the duct and not its outer surface.

Quick Reply: Tons of A/C Condensation!!!!