Fuel Filter Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Filter Change

Alright here is my issue. I have a 1997 F150 with the 4.6L V8. I recently went to change the fuel filter...But it didn't work out so well. I couldn't get the front coupler off the filter. I was able to get it off of the lip with the fuel line quick disconnect tool that I got from autozone but I couldn't get the line to come off the filter no matter how hard I pulled on it. So I brought it over to Jiffy Lube and was going to pay them 60 bucks to change a $10 filter but after 20 min they came in and told me that they did't have the tools to change the filter. Now here is my question after this long winded story, Has any one had this problem?? Or is my truck just a special one and has to be difficult for me?

Old 06-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
they are always a little tough. You kind a take the tool-I like the plastic ones and I have I think 3 different tools the round plastic ones work best for me. You slide it in and you push the fuel line into the filter push the tool in some more then you yank the line out. Fram filters seem to get stuck. Cheap..

Old 06-29-2011, 07:05 AM
I give that a try. Right now I have the metal tool that seemed to work but I just couldn't get the front one off. Just out of curiosity...Id the coupler on the outlet side of the filter supposed to be smaller than the back one. They have the same size line going into them but the one I can't get off has a smaller diameter. I have to file down the tool the get it into the thing to depress the locks.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:40 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the same tool should work for both sides. Like I said I like the round plastic ones, they work for me. I have the metal scissor kind to dont really like those ones myself.. But even using the tool I prefer it can still be a bugger getting that filter off. Gotta push it in work it so the tool gets inside the release spring..

Last edited by jethat; 06-29-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Try spraying some wd 40 or other type of spray lube in there to clean it out.. My guess is you got some dirt in there not allowing you to fully depress the clip or whatever it is that holds it in...

I have the metal scissor kind of tool and it works fine for me. I've used a large flat screw driver to help with the leverage too. That seems to help me...

I've got it down to where I can change my filter in about 5 minutes... I could do it faster, but it's so damn hard to get the old filter out of the "Clamp of Death" that holds it!!

Good luck!

Mitch

Old 06-29-2011, 08:18 PM
Alright Ill give those a try. I have never changed it on the truck before I bought the truck a year ago and just had to put a fuel tank in. While I was doing that I decided I would change the filter while the system was depressurized but I guess nothing is easy.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:18 PM
Thanks

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter Change