Never buy a ford !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Never buy a ford !!!!!

I will never buy a ford f150 in my lifetime again!!! Had to change my spark plugs at 75000 miles 2006 F150 and the first 3 have broken off. Now the heads have to be removed to get them out. This BS and ford should take full responsiblity for their **** poor design and have a recall on this broke *** engine. I called ford and they wanted $650.00 to change 8 plugs. Who in their right mind will pay someone that much to change plugs......really its just a spark plug not rocket science. With that said they now want $4000.00 to remove the broken plugs!!!! ******* ford I think this one just might catch fire............... Oh and the tool designed to remove the BROKEN plug aint worth a either!!

Last edited by Bluejay; 04-15-2011 at 02:50 PM. Reason: language
Old 04-15-2011, 02:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Apparently you don't do to much reading around here. Might be a comprehension thing Iduno. How is it that your the only one who pays $4,000 when everyone else pays around $250 + $80 for each spark plug that breaks in the process ?

Are you a sucker ? Or,...

Well, sounds like either you screwed the truck up and now have to point the finger elsewhere or you have some back alley mechanic working on your vehicle.

Yea, sell your truck, - it's not idiot proof.

Good luck with that one lol.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:21 PM
650 seems cheap now doesn't it.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Yup, my dealer charged $322 plus $70 for a broken plug, none of mine broke.

Don't blame your lack of knowledge on the truck. There are literally millions of trucks that make it through plug changes just fine.

Did you follow the TBS that tells you to soak the plugs before trying to wrench them off?

- NCSU

Old 04-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Jbrew $250 + $80 per a broken plug.................huh thats odd I live here in SC and ford was the first place I asked to change my plugs; $650.00 is a little expensive just to change plugs. I did read and comprehend the previous posts here about how they break off. Thats why I took it to a ASE Certified mechanic and he followed the procedure to a T With that said the first 3 plugs on drivers side broke. With the attempt to remove them with a tool was not applicable. He was only going to charge me $150.00 for labor + $20 for each broken plug. However since the heads have to be removed now there is an additional costs, $600.00 for labor. I now have to buy gaskets for the engine which is another $2 - 300.00 It will cost me around $1000.00 just to change my plugs WOW. I'm not pointing the finger at no one except ford. Its a poor design and they know it, you should NOT have the be a certified mechanic to change spark plugs, REALLY???????? Mabye if the plug breaks off and I cut my hand really bad then mabye I can file a lawsuit and sue the **** out of them; just like the airbags blown up in your face!!!!

Old 04-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
If he can't use the Lisle tool, his certification is worthless. There is no reason to remove the heads. he is taking you for a ride.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It is a bad design but those who take the time to learn the fixes for the poor design manage to negate it..

Trending Topics

Old 04-15-2011, 03:42 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by marks2006f150
Jbrew $250 + $80 per a broken plug.................huh thats odd I live here in SC and ford was the first place I asked to change my plugs; $650.00 is a little expensive just to change plugs. I did read and comprehend the previous posts here about how they break off. Thats why I took it to a ASE Certified mechanic and he followed the procedure to a T With that said the first 3 plugs on drivers side broke. With the attempt to remove them with a tool was not applicable. He was only going to charge me $150.00 for labor + $20 for each broken plug. However since the heads have to be removed now there is an additional costs, $600.00 for labor. I now have to buy gaskets for the engine which is another $2 - 300.00 It will cost me around $1000.00 just to change my plugs WOW. I'm not pointing the finger at no one except ford. Its a poor design and they know it, you should NOT have the be a certified mechanic to change spark plugs, REALLY???????? Mabye if the plug breaks off and I cut my hand really bad then mabye I can file a lawsuit and sue the **** out of them; just like the airbags blown up in your face!!!!
We have member after member that successfully change their own plugs and they are certainly not certified. You need to get your vehicle somewhere where they know what they are doing. Certification is a piece of paper and does not insure common sense.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by jethat
It is a bad design but those who take the time to learn the fixes for the poor design manage to negate it..

Well said. Pretty much sums it all up.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:21 PM
You really think Ford is the only one that hasn't designed an engine where everything can be replace easily? You should try working on some of the other vehicles out there. I've worked on a couple where there was no way to get the plugs out unless you pulled the motor.

But I do understand that you are pissed that you are going through this now. Nothing you can do but work toward getting it fixed. There is a lot of information on this forum and lots of knowledgeable people willing to help you.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:31 PM
I changed all my plugs myself, only broke one and got it out with a lightweight tool grabber and it cost me nothing but the price of the plugs.....I agree since you were on this site seems like you would have picked up something from the forums...... but its all a gamble when you have these things done

Last edited by Lariat '06; 04-15-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:36 PM
its not the trucks fault, yes its not the worlds best desine but plenty of people on here change there own plugs and if u soak them really well they come out easily. but just cause theres a dumb a#@ at the dealership workin on your truck doesnt mean its ford or the trucks fault, its the mechanic that worked on your truck fault he obviously didnt do something right a really screwed something up. But that being said ive seen some really dumb mechanics at dealerships. i am a learning mechanic, hopefully gonna be working in a ford dealership soon. but i hope u get it fixed but not for 4 grand. sorry to hear this happend to u man

Old 04-15-2011, 04:39 PM
I can certainly see how you would be frustrated. Just try to work through it and figure out if someone would charge less? Ford has the nicest trucks out there IMO and sometimes we have to take the good with the bad.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:52 PM
It sucks to see you are having so much trouble, and its completely turned you against fords. I know its frustrating. Just take your time and work through it. I personally would probably never by a truck from anyone but ford, but thats just me. I have a 99 approaching 200,000 mi and other than some maintenance and cop changes, It has been a great truck. Although I must say I do have a funny rattling in my motor thats been there a while. Coincidently starting after being T-boned at 50mph right in the front end. But still runs well. Next time your out and about look around at all the company work trucks, youll see most of them are fords, there is a reason for that. One quick question thought, did you buy the truck new, or was it previously owned? Good luck man, you will get this worked out.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:00 PM
I had a ford dealership do mine and they broke like 5 plugs and said that there special tool would not take them out and the head would have to come off. So they said it would be around 2600 from the original 400 price. It became a huge pissing match and i ended up wrighting letters and speaking to the reginal service rep and finally some how everything got taken care of when he got involved. You just gotta complain enough

Quick Reply: Never buy a ford !!!!!