BG products

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BG products

Went to my local dealer for an estimate on a long list of services. They use BG Products for most things. Should I insist on MotorCraft? Its part of the reason I went there. Local shop has BG and every service is cheaper.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by jw04fx4
Went to my local dealer for an estimate on a long list of services. They use BG Products for most things. Should I insist on MotorCraft? Its part of the reason I went there. Local shop has BG and every service is cheaper.
In my experience the BG stuff works pretty good

Old 02-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
we use BG fuel injection cleaner and it is badass!!

Old 02-25-2011, 03:09 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Let's see - I have BG in my rear axle and tranny, and had a BG induction cleaning at my last plug change - nothing wrong with their products. My local Ford dealer sells a lot of BG stuff.

By the way - just because you take it to a Ford dealer for service doesn't necessarily mean you will be getting Motorcraft parts and products. Dealers are independent businesses and there is no requirement that they use only Ford parts and products. Always ask first. If you go to my local dealer for an oil change, you get whatever bulk oil they have at the time unless you specifically ask for Motorcraft oil, and they charge more for that. When I took mine in for an alternator, they gave me a choice - wait 2 days for them to order a Motorcraft alternator in, or let them install a reman from O'Reillys (at almost a $100 savings).

Old 02-25-2011, 03:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
BG Products have one purpose at the dealer, and that is to make them money.

That said, a few of the services have their merits. The trans service is about the only reasonable way to change all the fluid including whatever is in the torque converter, and the brake system thingy works well, you should change your brake fluid somewhat regularly, especially if you're using your brakes hard a lot (like if you're towing regularly).

Otherwise, complete and total snake oil.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:53 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Quintin

That said, a few of the services have their merits. The trans service is about the only reasonable way to change all the fluid including whatever is in the torque converter, and the brake system thingy works well, you should change your brake fluid somewhat regularly, especially if you're using your brakes hard a lot (like if you're towing regularly).

What do you think about the Motor Vac service ? Are you familiar with that over there, Mr. Quintin, Sir ?

Old 02-25-2011, 08:41 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
the fuel injection cleaning service that hooks to the fuel rail, and runs on the dedicated pump/reservoir, we've watched real time data logger on the fuel trims and seen them come off of the lean side and zero back out

Old 02-26-2011, 12:41 AM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
I'll get a BG job done long before I'll pour Seafoam down a vacuum line.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
the fuel injection cleaning service that hooks to the fuel rail, and runs on the dedicated pump/reservoir, we've watched real time data logger on the fuel trims and seen them come off of the lean side and zero back out
How can you use fuel trims accurately when the engine is running off a cleaner?

Old 02-26-2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by jbrew
What do you think about the Motor Vac service ? Are you familiar with that over there, Mr. Quintin, Sir ?
Motorvac works well, but IME, it's been overshadowed by the 700 lb gorilla that is BG Products.

The BG cleaner system that tees into the fuel rail, I imagine it works basically like the Motorvac system, just with different chems.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:00 AM
Originally Posted by Quintin

Dear sir, everything at a dealership is there to make money. That statement is accurate. Most of the service departments make up 70-80% of the bottom line revenue for the dealer principal. I have used BG for 20 years, and have been on the service side for over 30. BG is best at making us money. Because the product works! People come back because we use retention programs set up by our BG guy! But above all, the product does what it says it will do. Take the new GDI (Ecoboost) engines, BG has a solution to all of the problems from deposits. Either from the Variable Vaulve Timming, or Hydraulic Actuators, or Low Tension Rings, BG has a solution. I put 25 kits on the shelf, and sold half in one day!!! Please sir, do some research and take a look at their ASTM testing, I think you will be suprised.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:53 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The thread is three years old.

Quick Reply: BG products