5.4 build

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 bolt on mods

ok everyone i am trying to do some things to my engine and IM going to start pretty soon.
what i want to do is. headers (i just purchased some jba shorty headers) and i need e-fans, underdrive pulleys, and a cold air intake, then i am going to need new spark plugs soon and i think new injectors but want performance ones.
right now i have true dual magna flow 14 inch body exhaust on it right now and would high flow cats help?

what IM asking is what would be the best way to go with all of this and would i need custom tunes? and what spark plugs and injectors are best for these trucks?

can i just get a shop to tune it so i don't have to get a chip because i rather not get one. just get it tuned

what is the best way to do e-fans/ cheapest?

any help or advice on this would be great. or a better way y'all think for me to go. i going for a faster truck but better gas mileage too and runs great for a everyday driver.

the truck is also a 2006 5.4 L 3v fx4 package with a couple of things done to in not much.

thanks for looking
Will

Last edited by wchamp7; 01-04-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think this thread should be re-titled with 5.4 bolt on mods. builds usually incorporate some sort of internal engine components being replaced/upgraded. just say no to underdrive pulley unless you do cams.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Shorty=waste of money. go longtubes. Dynatech SS but 700-1,500 dollars. OBX is cheap SS and Pacesetters are thick steel but made in america!

oh you have an 06. fuel injectors wont help unless you do a crazy amount of power. IE Turbo or Supercharger.

E-fan most junk yards will set any E-fan set up for 15-30 dollars. get a Lincon Mark 8 or Crown vic E-fan 24" 3,700 CFM i love mine. i ran a wire with an inline 30amp fuse to a switch in my truck to the fan. total cost was 15 for the fan and 3 for the switch and another 4 for the inline fuse. you will see the most power from this.

i have a K&N77 intake on mine didnt notice to much of a diff. i think bc ur 04+ you MUST have a tune to run an intake those trucks are already very close to lean.

High flow cats and long tubes will help alot.

before i modded my truck i was getting 9-10MPG now i get 17-22MPG with a CAI,E-fan,Longtubes + exhuast and a tune. not to mention alot more power.

Hope this helps

Old 01-04-2011, 04:48 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by wchamp7
ok everyone i am trying to do some things to my engine and IM going to start pretty soon.
what i want to do is. headers (i just purchased some jba shorty headers) and i need e-fans, underdrive pulleys, and a cold air intake, then i am going to need new spark plugs soon and i think new injectors but want performance ones.
right now i have true dual magna flow 14 inch body exhaust on it right now and would high flow cats help?

what IM asking is what would be the best way to go with all of this and would i need custom tunes? and what spark plugs and injectors are best for these trucks?

can i just get a shop to tune it so i don't have to get a chip because i rather not get one. just get it tuned

what is the best way to do e-fans/ cheapest?

any help or advice on this would be great. or a better way y'all think for me to go. i going for a faster truck but better gas mileage too and runs great for a everyday driver.

the truck is also a 2006 5.4 L 3v fx4 package with a couple of things done to in not much.

thanks for looking
Will
with all those mind blistering mods you just purchased you need to put down the keys and slowly back away from the truck, keep backing SLOWLY, you don't want to scare it anymore than you already have, once you're out of sight of the truck run as fast as you can until you can't run anymore, then research your mods before you purchase them otherwise you're going to continue wasting money and risk some serious damage to your trucks engine

Old 01-04-2011, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by coobies5
i think this thread should be re-titled with 5.4 bolt on mods.

Originally Posted by coobies5
builds usually incorporate some sort of internal engine components being replaced/upgraded.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by tarajerame
with all those mind blistering mods you just purchased you need to put down the keys and slowly back away from the truck, keep backing SLOWLY, you don't want to scare it anymore than you already have, once you're out of sight of the truck run as fast as you can until you can't run anymore, then research your mods before you purchase them otherwise you're going to continue wasting money and risk some serious damage to your trucks engine
ok then im selling the shorties. what would your recommendation be for me to get more power and gas mileage. sorry this is new to me i am learning!

Old 01-04-2011, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by shifty_85
Shorty=waste of money. go longtubes. Dynatech SS but 700-1,500 dollars. OBX is cheap SS and Pacesetters are thick steel but made in america!

oh you have an 06. fuel injectors wont help unless you do a crazy amount of power. IE Turbo or Supercharger.

E-fan most junk yards will set any E-fan set up for 15-30 dollars. get a Lincon Mark 8 or Crown vic E-fan 24" 3,700 CFM i love mine. i ran a wire with an inline 30amp fuse to a switch in my truck to the fan. total cost was 15 for the fan and 3 for the switch and another 4 for the inline fuse. you will see the most power from this.

i have a K&N77 intake on mine didnt notice to much of a diff. i think bc ur 04+ you MUST have a tune to run an intake those trucks are already very close to lean.

High flow cats and long tubes will help alot.

before i modded my truck i was getting 9-10MPG now i get 17-22MPG with a CAI,E-fan,Longtubes + exhuast and a tune. not to mention alot more power.

Hope this helps
thanks for your info it helps!

Old 01-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
look into the gotts mod, and custom tunes. then go about the more inclusive mods such as efans and exhaust work.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:55 PM
thanks for your info it helps!
no prob. its fun to do. i recommend doing an E-fan first you see the most power and its pretty cheap to do.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:04 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Gotts/DWV mod is just as effective as an intake, costs a small fraction of an intake, and if you use a stock paper air filter you won't have MAF fouling issues. You also won't cause it to run lean without a custom tune.

You do not want a chip, you want a programmer with custom tunes. Look in our Tuners forum and read the sticky threads.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:43 AM
i love my sniper delta force tuner for my 97 4.6 400 bucks and you can tune 2 ford Gas from 96-04 the newer verisons i think go to from 96-08 but i love it. you can custom tune your self no waiting for tunes. not to mention go half and half with a buddy and you get a custom tune for 200 bucks. i can write a new tune for my truck in and have it in my truck in under 15 min.

You can adjust shift points make the shifts firmer. remove top speed limter adjust for new gear/tire size. CAI, Headers , After market exhuast with cats and rear o2. Delete EGR

i love the fact i dont have to wait months for a tune and i can tune it my self. its very simple and there customer support is AWESOME.

just my .02 cents

Old 01-05-2011, 12:24 PM

ok then im selling the shorties. what would your recommendation be for me to get more power and gas mileage. sorry this is new to me i am learning!
gotts intake mod - best value

long tubes - OBX's are the best value (sparktechmotorsports dot com)

Custom tunes - read the sticky in the chips and tuners section

e-fans - as shifty suggested (just be careful and get a setup that will pull enough CFM's to support your truck)

no need for injectors unless you are forcing air into the motor

Old 01-05-2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by tarajerame
gotts intake mod - best value

long tubes - OBX's are the best value (sparktechmotorsports dot com)

Custom tunes - read the sticky in the chips and tuners section

e-fans - as shifty suggested (just be careful and get a setup that will pull enough CFM's to support your truck)

no need for injectors unless you are forcing air into the motor
What's the negative to shortys to long tubes? And thank you

Old 01-05-2011, 03:07 PM

What's the negative to shortys to long tubes? And thank you
lets look at the positives to shorty headers:
cheaper to purchase
sounds cool when you tell people about them
easier to install
minimal gains

and now we'll move on to the negatives:
minimal gains
a lot of money for little to no gains
proven time and time again to be worthelss on a n/a motor
a lot of work for little to no gains

Old 01-05-2011, 03:49 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
You forgot one other negative - possible loss of some low end torque.

Quick Reply: 5.4 build