golfdude

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
golfdude

Wondering if anybody can help me? i have a 2005 Ford F150 screw 4x4, when i step on the gas pedal i get a loud rattling noise from the engine on the drivers side, when i let up on the pedal the noise goes away, checked the cats for any loose heat shields but its all good. any ideas?

Old 01-04-2011, 03:58 PM
I probably can't help you, but I can help you get help.

What mileage, what maintenance has been done, and anything else that you can think of.

Does it only do it when cold, or warm, can you hear it from outside, is it louder underneath, does it only do it when moving, etc.

Describe the rattling more specifically, does it sound like sheet metal, or internal engine.

And you might want to change your subject line to something more specific, like "Rattling noise coming from driver's side 5.4l 3V". Or something descriptive like that.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:17 PM
I would say it is the VVT that drives the cam. They make a lot of noise and cause trouble often.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:27 PM
it could be the IWE. i had one go bad and it would rattle anytime i put my foot down. try driving in a straight line in 4 wheel drive and see if it still does it.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:08 PM
i just went through the same issue that it sounds like you are having. it was the 'rattling' or 'ice in a blender' noise that i only heard under acceleration. and as soon as i put it into 4 wheel drive the noise went away.
i did some reading on the forum for 2 days before i narrowed it down to the 4 wheel drive vacuum system. so what i did was disconnect the vacuum hoses from the IWE Solenoid right behind the battery. then i started the truck and put my thumb over the bottom hose and made sure that there was even a vacuum. and there was. So next i checked the vacuum hoses that run from the solenoid to the actuators. they wouldnt hold a lick of pressure.
then i checked the hoses from the solenoid to the actuators, and found that the drivers side vacuum hose had completely separated from the actuator.
if this sounds at all like what you are experiencing then this might be a good place to start. but like i said, i read on this forum for a couple days and found out everything i needed to know.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:21 PM
if this is in fact what your problem is. then these three threads aughta be more than enough to get you on your way to fixing in yourself.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...id+replacement

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...id+replacement

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...id+replacement