No oil pressure after timing job

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 09:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No oil pressure after timing job

I recently did a timing job on my 2005 Expedition 5.4 and replaced all the timing components, oil pump included. Everything went smooth, way too smooth as I would find out.

Before completely assembling, I decided to go ahead and build my oil pressure and start it, as I was very excited to hear it happen. This was done by holding the gas pedal to the floor and turning it over at about 20 second intervals 3 times. Initially did not build oil pressure, however, it did when it started.

I didn't sweat it until the next day when I completely assembled the engine to take it for a test spin. As soon as it was started, I noticed the oil pressure wasn't there. After about a minute, I killed it. I checked the oil and I had oil. I checked the oil filter and there was a little bit of oil but I am not sure if the oil was from the previous night. I did everything on the timing correctly, I'm sure, but I have never had this happen before. Any suggestions?

Old 08-18-2019, 10:37 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Check your electrical connections. Also, check the oil pressure with a manual gauge see if it's within spec.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just an update

I finally got all the issues worked out. NEVER buy the cheap timing kit on Amazon with an oil pump. Everything worked fine except the oil pump. I ordered a melling with 20% more oil volume and it worked just fine. Hard to believe that a brand new oil pump would quit working like that but it did. Took it apart and there was no trash in it. Anyways thanks for advice and thank goodness this forum exists.

Now that performance isn't an issue, on to the looks. Seriously debating a facelift on the front. Just bought a new stock grill and thinking about lifting it up a few inches (country roads are harsh).

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-18-2019, 09:44 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I hope the cheap Amazon timing kit works for you.

Old 09-19-2019, 06:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadie
I hope the cheap Amazon timing kit works for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RPGnbv4Wy0
Yea, Ford parts only when it comes to timing components and phasers.

Quick Reply: No oil pressure after timing job