relay problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation relay problem

last week while driving my truck it just cut off on me. everything died and all my gauge lights came on. i tried restarting it and it was cranking but wasn't getting any fuel to start it. after kicking the gas tank and playing with the fuel plug in i got it started and back to the house. once i cut it off it wouldn't start again. same cranking problem. i started toying with the fuel plug in (i think it was the fuel pump not sure). thought that might have been the problem but i could here the fuel pump cutting on but it still wasnt getting any gas. eventually i pulled the relay switch that controls the fuel and fuel pump out, put some cleaner on it and plugged it back in. it started right up after that and i havnt had any trouble sense. i was wondering what yall might think it is other than the relay and if i should go ahead and just replace that relay. if i should where can i get one? thanks

truck is an 02 f150 screw. 4.6L

Old 11-30-2010, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would say it's the relay. that's a cheap part that can be found almost anywhere. autozone, electronics store, walmart. start there and see if that fixes things.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:19 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
KOEO, - Finger the pump relay. Is it hot ?
KOER - " Ditto "

If that relay seems warm to hot, - it's bad. Swap with the horn relay (if the same), - or other (identical). Test temp for change, yea, -with your finger.

Owners manual in the GB will show you your relays and sizes. Or download your manual yourself online. It's free.

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: relay problem