Need information

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need information

I was told that switching from the factory fan on my 04 FX4 to electric would give me more mpg and power when needed. I have no idea so am looking for some input, please!

Old 10-14-2010, 06:35 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I cannot tell a lie so here it is: Yes it will result in increased mpg and more power. Under certain circumstances. When the fans are not running there is less parasitic loss from the accessories. Namely the fan, so the power required to turn the fan is removed freeing up more power to the crankshaft. So turning the crank shaft at say 2000 rpm will require less fuel. Exactly how much power is freed up or how much of an mpg increase you will get is open to debate. Personally I could care less, I just went ahead and did the mod.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:01 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by JMC
I cannot tell a lie so here it is: Yes it will result in increased mpg and more power. Under certain circumstances. When the fans are not running there is less parasitic loss from the accessories. Namely the fan, so the power required to turn the fan is removed freeing up more power to the crankshaft. So turning the crank shaft at say 2000 rpm will require less fuel. Exactly how much power is freed up or how much of an mpg increase you will get is open to debate. Personally I could care less, I just went ahead and did the mod.
15 ponies Mister, - where did I here that from lol.? I bet that's pretty close tho, - if you set it up right.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The true answer is IT MAY not IT WILL provide some extra HP. How that might turn into any possible extra MPG is an unknown. Most folks consider the electric fans to help with Air Conditioning causing it to produce cooler air out of the interior vents.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:12 PM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
15 ponies Mister, - where did I here that from lol.? I bet that's pretty close tho, - if you set it up right.
I heard between 15-20 hp but I have seen so many of these threads turn into debates about how much of a gain there actually is I now only state that there will be a gain.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:08 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
From all the posts here and abroad, -the conclusion is that it's a gain you can truly feel. Where do you notice it ? You notice it under normal driving conditions the most. In how much less effort (very noticeably less) it takes for these trucks to get up to speed. Also, these engines run cool as it is; so,- with the proper controller that takes advantage of that, it's a win win. Although they can run alright on a 90 amp system, a 130 amp would be choice IMO, - w/ the proper gauge cable for heat soak.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:01 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm going to make the swap in my wife's expy next week, so we'll see how it goes

Quick Reply: Need information