'96 5.0L - High idle and won't start when hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 12:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '96 5.0L - High idle and won't start when hot

1996 F150 5.0L. Problem started with CEL and code for low EGR flow. At the time, the truck was running fine. Vacuum tested EGR valve and found it to be working properly. Found two holes in the EGR pipe from the exhaust manifold and sealed them up. Disconnected battery to reset system.

Engine started fine and idled around 1000 rpm for a few minutes, then went up to 1500-1600. Tapping the accelerator caused the engine to hesistate for a second, then speed up and sloooooowly go back down to 1500 rpm.

Shut engine off and tried to restart. Engine would turn over fine but would not start.

CEL light has not come back on. Yet.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 07-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you still have a leak somewhere......check the entire EGR tube assembly. I had trouble with a cracked elbow on there that gave me similar trouble on a 98.

I'd check the whole vac system for cracks, mine was a pain to find. Go from the EGR valve and check the entire tube paying attention to the elbows, they get brittle and crack easily with age. Then go to the EVR regulator solenoid and TAB solenoids. EVR is the bigger one.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: '96 5.0L - High idle and won't start when hot