Good or Bad fan clutch??

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good or Bad fan clutch??

My fan turns freely when I turn it manually (truck off). I always heard there should be some resistance when I turn it, that it should turn 1/2-1 turn at the most. Turning mine with my hand it turns a good 2-3 times. Also when I'm driving it it sounds like the fan is blowing really loud a lot. Is this normal? Thanks...as always!!

Old 07-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by cnt487
My fan turns freely when I turn it manually (truck off). I always heard there should be some resistance when I turn it, that it should turn 1/2-1 turn at the most. Turning mine with my hand it turns a good 2-3 times. Also when I'm driving it it sounds like the fan is blowing really loud a lot. Is this normal? Thanks...as always!!
It's normal. The fun clutch is not engaged when the engine is off. When you can hear the fan blowing that means the clutches have engaged allowing it to turn faster. You would know if the clutch was bad by sitting at a red light or in heavy traffic the engine temp will rise but once you got up to a high enough speed to get air blowing through the radiator then the temps would drop back to normal. The mechanics of a fan clutch is similar to one in a manual transmission.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Well thats good news. I appreciate it!

Quick Reply: Good or Bad fan clutch??