Ok, what's next?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, what's next?

A while back, I posted about the 2 error codes that everyone suggested the issue would be a melted rubber elbow on the PCV connection, thus, sucking air. This went on for about 2 months and got bad enough so that when I came to a stop, the engine would just cutoff and stop running.

Ok, so i managed to finally find that part and replace it, indeed the rubber had been compromised.

I then used my $65 code reader to clear the error codes. Yeah! No more "Check Engine Soon" light on dash.

However, 1 day later, I'm fiding that my engine rpm's drop way low, like 500/400 insted of the usual 750. The dash lights go dim and feels like the engine is going to stop. If i place the trans into neutral or park, the rpm's jump back up to normal.

Is the computer now confused or does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for any help!

4.6L V8 w/98,000

Old 05-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Might be time to start cleaning at 98k. Clean the IAC and MAF sensors. Check your pcv valve if its functioning right. There are "how to's" on the IAC and MAF cleaning, it really helps. Other than that, go over everything you did and make sure all connections are good. Check to see if the pcv elbow at the valve (passenger side) isnt soft or collapsed.

Are you the original owner?
Any tune ups lately? Like fuel filter, air filter, plugs, coil, injector cleaning.... etc

Old 05-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
oughta clean the whole throttle body. Me I'd replace the IAC you can get em at the zone for 40 something bucks. I have them in both my 5.4's and have been great.. Then do the MAF. Getting time for all the 100k stuff..

Old 05-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Toyz
Might be time to start cleaning at 98k. Clean the IAC and MAF sensors. Check your pcv valve if its functioning right. There are "how to's" on the IAC and MAF cleaning, it really helps. Other than that, go over everything you did and make sure all connections are good. Check to see if the pcv elbow at the valve (passenger side) isnt soft or collapsed.

Are you the original owner?
Any tune ups lately? Like fuel filter, air filter, plugs, coil, injector cleaning.... etc
Hey Toyz,
I bought the truck a yr or so ago with 85,000 on the ticker. Doubt any major tuning or even plugs have been done yet.
I just found it odd that, it ran great this past year, suddenly i blow 2 codes which everyone thinks is the rubber pcv elbow, i replace it and clear codes....drive for a day and no more codes yet this low idle issue pops up when coming to a stop....
Just figured life would be all good again the way it went down.

Sounds like I'm due for sinking some more time and $'s into all the other items you and Jethat mentioned.

Thanks for the input.