Future swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Future swap questions

I was gonna change out the old 4.6 outta the expy last year but ran into a couple of "issues" so I never got around to ask these questions. . .

Mines an expy 03 4.6 the engine I was gonna get is an 05 5.4 3v out of a f150

1. If I buy the troyer fans now will I have to get them for the 5.4 or the 4.6 mechanic says the wiring will change thats why I ask.

2. Custom headers . . . were???? Im sure their will be some clearence problems like I had with the gibsons

3. Will my 4.6 tranny work while I get another or should I get everything at once

4. I was looking for aftermarket heads but I only see them for the older 5.4 (i think PI was the company but not sure) is this correct or should I just try to find a good machine shop

I think I have more but I can remember this is hopefully gonna be done this year that is if crap doesent hit the fan like it did last year thanks

Old 02-03-2010, 06:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
That's PITA swap, -if you can even make it happen. It's been tried. Stick with a 2 valve, = no headaches.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
1) LOL right like it just plugs into a harness somewhere?
2) OBX, ebay
3) yes, it will work, you could have one built while your driving on the original (to change trans u have to change PCM and some other things)
4) there was nonPI (performance improved, ford deal) and PI heads, I'm sure you can figure that part out

Note: I'm not familiar with the 03 expy, I dont know which 4.6 cam setup they used but if its a change to the 3v you may want to find a different, more similar donor motor to your original, per se 2v for 2v.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:50 PM
I taught the fans were wired to a temp/coolant sensor but i havent read the installation instructions. I have a couple of buddies that own junkyards so i'll be getting advice from them aswell. Aint it mostly wiring and exahust differences. . .

Old 02-04-2010, 04:12 AM
There isn't a difference between the 4.6 and 5.4 troyer e-fan kit. The fans just need to be wired to ignition so that they're on when the engine is running, and one of them gets wired to the a/c compressor so that it turns on when the a/c is running. The fans come with fan controllers that have their own temperature sensors so that they turn on when a certain temperature is reached on their own (no need to wire them to existing temp sensors).

The only difference between the kits is that maybe between the 5.4 and 4.6 the wires you need to connect the fan controllers to might be a different color on the wiring harness. So the instructions will differ to tell you the right wire to tap into.

Definitely do a 2v 5.4 swap as it'll be much easier for you, and will pretty much literally drop in and plug in like stock. The 3v has extra sensors and will need different tuning, so just stick with the 2v motor.

- Erik

Old 02-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 02-04-2010, 05:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Right, - That was bummer, Roush put allot of time/effort into that. I wish the OP luck, I wouldn't waste my time with a swap like that. Not when you can build a two valve fairly easily and your chances of success are much greater. There's too much that can go wrong converting to 3V.

Quick Reply: Future swap questions