another bad head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 12:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another bad head gasket

i was just wondering, i just bought a 1998 exped has 193000 miles paid 4200 from stealer, checked it out realy good drives and shifts fine was happy after about 200 miles, and a cold night and a snow storm, i was driveing home fine and the temp and oil temp light came on temp peged and the check engine light stayed on changed the thermasat ,cleared and read codes did alot of reseach, and a block radiator exhaust gas test ,and u know the rest bad news no fluids mixing yet my question is how long has some one drove with symptoms not knowing what this was should i park it or just keep driving till summer til i can do the job or have it done any input would be apreciated sad
and burned in denver

Old 01-05-2010, 07:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't drive it because your could ruin the heads crack them, if they have not already been damaged.I would thing 200 miles would be covered under some kind of lemon law.I am pretty sure who every traded it in knew the head gasket was bad.So you did the block tester and the fluid turned yellow?I had a over heating problem and mine turned out to be my water pump, only 1 fin left on the pump.I did a block tester and the fluid stayed blue (thank god).Is this a 4.6 or 5.4 motor?

Old 01-05-2010, 09:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if it were me I'd find a low miles engine and swap it out. Even if you found one with 95k it would have half the miles and all. Or just bag it and get another truck. You could try repairing it and all.. big job.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it is a 4.6

the stealer told me he would give me 3000 trade ,after he sold it to me 10 days ago had his mechanic look at, he said no head gasket problems all he did was waste my time and gas , its a nice truck so im going to run her to she gets worse or till the weather warmer i live in denver so there is plenty of engines ,does anyone know what long blocks would work out of what cars and trucks with direct fit , i know i have to change the intake but what about the harness and sensors ,will exhaust mans fit and bell housing fit out of cars, thanks jay

Quick Reply: another bad head gasket