a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a few questions

The prelims...........99 F150, 5.4, 4x4, 175K

I blew a plug out (not sure how that happens), did a search and I see that the time-sert is the way to go. Is it something that a local shop or dealership could or would do?

Since I am changing out all the plugs I was wondering if there is something I could use to clean the injectors, something to soak them in perhaps? I called one shop a couple years ago to have my Expedition's plugs changed and they said they cleaned the injectors at the same time, so it got me wondering.........how?

Old 01-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The heads only have a few threads so the plugs can blow out if they get loose (need to be torqued to 28 ft-lbs). This problem plagued the 2v engines until late '03 then of course they created a whole other set of problems with the 3v engines in 2004!

From what the experienced ones around here say, the time-sert is the way to go. A local shop could do it or you could give it a whirl. There's a member here (Galaxy) who I believe rents the tool for the time-sert so you don't have to buy it.

You can clean the injectors (there's a procedure somewhere out there on how to do this & I will try to find it) but the best bet would be to have an induction cleaning (Motorvac or BG machine) to clean up the system. I think it's between 100 and 150 clams for this service and worth it. If you go the route of adding a fuel system cleaner to the fuel tank, the most recommended are Gumout with Regane; Chevron Techron or BG44k (most expensive but probably the best).

Good luck on the plug!

Last edited by AZTriton; 01-05-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just sent you an e-mail through your link.

Quick Reply: a few questions