manually shift ok ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 07:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
manually shift ok ?

Hi again,
can anyone tell me if I remove the shift motor on 99 exped. transfercase can I phyically turn the shaft and get my truck back in awd instead of 4 H or 4L where its at now . if I can turn it will it stay there and can I drive it ?

Old 12-24-2009, 07:16 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ford4me1
Hi again,
can anyone tell me if I remove the shift motor on 99 exped. transfercase can I phyically turn the shaft and get my truck back in awd instead of 4 H or 4L where its at now . if I can turn it will it stay there and can I drive it ?
Please don't start more than one thread on this issue. This is also the "Engine" forum. You should have posted here -

https://www.f150online.com/forums/other-powertrain-15/

I'll try to help in your other thread, in a sec.

Op has another thread here -

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ot...uck-4h-4l.html

Last edited by jbrew; 12-24-2009 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:25 AM
sorry but Im trying to get my truck running so that my family has a vehicle and I posted in power train area yesterday very early in the morn. and I have only had others view but no responses and we really need transportation so I tried to find an area where I might get a response I have spent the last three days between two different forums researching for a solution . not much luck. sorry but desperate !

Old 12-24-2009, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by ford4me1
sorry but Im trying to get my truck running so that my family has a vehicle and I posted in power train area yesterday very early in the morn. and I have only had others view but no responses and we really need transportation so I tried to find an area where I might get a response I have spent the last three days between two different forums researching for a solution . not much luck. sorry but desperate !
No problem, yea try what I said in your other thread, - scope those two vac lines out real quick, they run down to your front axle, - they squeeze between the engine and frame, - some are clipped onto the inner wheel well just above the frame.

You have a 2wd and 4wd solenoid on the firewall by the battery, that's where these lines come from, then run to the actuator on the axle.

I'm guessing the actuator is either stuck from non use or one of the lines became brittle with age and broke. The most common place for them to break is by the battery box. You can temporarily half *** repair just to get it to unlock if that's the case.

Last edited by jbrew; 12-24-2009 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the reply
I read about jacking the truck up and did that but I'm going to try all what you have said and try again . I had read about vacuum also but didn't have the gauge but I will get one but not exactly sure how to use it or where to hook it up , but I will try to figure that out. I have about 6 questions that I cant find answers for that I figured would help alot in understanding what is and is not working . I'm really new at this forum thing but trying to grasp ahold Sorry again and thanks for your help

Old 12-24-2009, 07:10 PM
Just drive it in 4dig untill you can take the time to fix it.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:39 PM
well,, my last answer was drive it in 4 wd till I have the time to fix it, time ? thats all I have been doing wasting time . I searched and searched for a day before I posted as to try and not bother anyone with my problems. Finally I posted in powertrain or whatever and waited a day. no luck, I also went on a expedition forum and same results, no luck, I then looked to see where most people hang out and posted there. Thanks to jbrew I received some info but I was really surprised that 51 people have looked and out of 6 questions nobody can answer even 1 . in powertrain 71 people cant answer 1 either,so after all the time I have looked and also waited I'm not really anybetter off than I was before I got here ! I guess all those that went through what I'mtrying to fix forgot to pass it on . I thought thats what forums were about. anyway thanks for looking !
Merry Christmas

Trending Topics

Old 12-24-2009, 10:44 PM
Sorry to not help your problem, if we knew the answer to your Q we would help you out. Not everyone, gets on forums every day, it takes time, but someone will chime in soon. Merry Christmas to you also.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:49 PM

From what I see, your ignoring what you have been directed to check out. So do you really want help or not ? If so, it would be helpful if you at the very least verify what you done in order to determine the problem, - did you do anything at all on your end ? Did you even look ?

If you not putting forth any effort, not much can come of it. If you don't verify what you have done, than we can't pick up where you left off, - allot of good people here can and usually will help, but give us a break and follow thru. Just saying, help us help you.

Merry Christmas and Good Luck sincerely.

Last edited by jbrew; 12-25-2009 at 12:05 AM.

Quick Reply: manually shift ok ?