Drop in MPG

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drop in MPG

I live in lovely western NY and as the weather has changed and cooled down I have seen a decrease in my MPG to about 16.5, is this do to the air temp being pulled into the CAI and if so is there any thing that can be done to counter it to get back to the 18-19MPG I was getting?

Old 11-16-2009, 03:06 PM
running a lincoln lt you should not have any problem paying for a extra gallon of gas or 2 lol. but seriously with the switch to winter gas folks lose a little mpg not that the gas could get much worse in ny with the 10% ethanol crap they are selling. GL

Old 11-16-2009, 03:07 PM
clean your maf, the oil from the K&N may have gotten on it. how many miles on the engine? and spark plugs?

Old 11-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure when they start using winter gas but I know it decreases mileage my 1-3 mpg.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Yea that ethanol crap sucks but U gotta love NY. So it is more the winter gas than the air temp difference you think? & what should I clean the maf with? I do have 80K on the plugs so maybe its time to get them changed!

Old 11-16-2009, 03:29 PM
I think it's more the gas than air. Because I think colder air actually gives you better MPG than hot air does.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:37 PM
MTM is correct. Lower intake temps yield more power from the engine, requiring lower engine loads to move the vehicle, resulting in better MPGs.

It's probably the winter fuel that's affected your mileage.

I see you have VMP tunes, what octane are you running? You could probably get a economy tune and run that during the winter to bring your MPGs back up, but I don't know if it'd be worth it.

Search "MAF cleaner" and you should find plenty of info. Basically it's an electric circuit cleaner that eats away all the oil and crud built up on the MAF. Cleaner MAF, more accurate readings, better A/F ratios, better MPGs. Probably wouldn't hurt to swap the plugs, you're not too far away from the recommended swap mileage anyways.

- NCSU

Trending Topics

Old 11-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Cold air should definitely help, especially since you have that pretty, chrome metal intake which looks great, but doesn't help keeping the air 'cold'.

80k on those plugs? Get 'em changed. If you haven't read the plethora of information on here regarding the issues with changing the plugs on the 5.4L 3-V's, do it before you embark, even if you do take it to a dealer or shop. Some shops and even dealers are gouging loyal Ford customers, especially if they break a plug.

Here's a link on cleaning your MAF: http://www.fordf150.net/howto/clean-...low-sensor.php Pretty easy job.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:01 PM
Yeah thats what I am thinking is they switched to the winter fuel cuz I noticed it declining in the last few weeks. I am running the 8 economy tune now and really no different. I will search for MAF cleaner to see if maybe that will help and I think I am gonna get the plugs done to see if they help.

Thanks

Old 11-16-2009, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by BLUE Dog
Yeah thats what I am thinking is they switched to the winter fuel cuz I noticed it declining in the last few weeks. I am running the 8 economy tune now and really no different. I will search for MAF cleaner to see if maybe that will help and I think I am gonna get the plugs done to see if they help.

Thanks
different year same idea

http://www.fordf150.net/howto/clean-...low-sensor.php
good luck

Old 11-17-2009, 07:40 AM
I am gonna go buy the cleaner today and clean it. Do you spray the whole MAF sensor itself and the wire connection? I am also going to make an appointment today to get my plugs done also, its time. I think some oil probably got on the filter when I cleaned it and sprayed the oil on it. I will keep you posted! Thanks for the tips!

Old 11-18-2009, 01:59 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
I leave the sensor installed in the intake tube, and simply disconnect the air cleaner and point the tube up where I can see into it. I attach the little straw to the can of MAF cleaner and spray it right at the sensor. With the straw about an inch away from the sensor, I give it about a 5 second blast. I then let it dry out for 15 minutes and put it back together.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:50 PM
Well I did yesterday afternoon and saw a small increase in MPG but the difference was in the ridle seemed to be much smoother! I think the next thing to do is the lovely plug change!

Old 11-19-2009, 05:29 PM
Keep us posted and good luck with the plugs. I wish I was getting 16mpg. I'm only getting 14.2 now.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:51 PM
altho changing your old plugs and cleaning your MAF helps because it is getting a good amount of mileage on it, the decrease is from the winter gas. MTM is right. i live in PA and ours doesnt have the ethenol but my mileage drops about 2mpgs for the whole winter. that is from the gas and also the 150LBs i put in the back since i have 2wd. mine is a V6 with a CAI. also i have "recharged" my K&N filter 3 times now on my 08 and also once when it was on my 04 heritage and i have never had an issue with the MAF. and i think i actually put more oil on the filter than i am supposed to put on it. i do a pretty heavy but even coat but still dont get the red color on the outside, even after waiting 20 minutes. so i spray it more until i do get the red color on the outside of the filter. but it is enough where the filter drips on my wheelwell. but i have not noticed any decrease in mileage. my 04 had about 44k on it when i traded it in and my 08 i got with 139 miles and now it has 20,500.

Quick Reply: Drop in MPG