don't know what you would call it!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
don't know what you would call it!!!!

well I have notice a problem the last few nights while driving at night. well I let the truck warm up and then leave just going down the street and for some reason the truck seem to want to stall.I push on the gas just a lil (to rev it up) while in drive going down the street at about 5-10 mph's,and the truck wants to almost die or like it gets choked up.the rpm goes up but there is no power. it only happens at night and when i push on the pedal and do it like i was trying to rev the truck.if i punch it (like half pedal) then let off and then do it again the truck acts funny. who knows what and why???

thanks to any reply's and any how to"s on how to solve the prob.. why is it doing that but only at night like it is getting to much air (too cold) I don't know.!!

Old 08-25-2009, 11:58 AM
I suggest day driving only! Sorry wish I could be more help I'm sure someone here knows something.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Is it a 3 valve ? Any Mods ? How many miles ?

Old 08-25-2009, 02:27 PM
cel on? will it go faster than 10mph? only at night? no difference at all during the day? only thing i can really think of is that you may be running too lean at night. has it been real humid at night since it started?

Old 08-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Is it a 3 valve ? Any Mods ? How many miles ?
yes it is a 3 valve, only exhaust only like 40,000 miles

Old 08-25-2009, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by Matts ford
cel on? will it go faster than 10mph? only at night? no difference at all during the day? only thing i can really think of is that you may be running too lean at night. has it been real humid at night since it started?
it will go faster than 10 mph just happens at 10-15 mph,it been hot during the day,but cool at night. didn't know if it was running too lean,was a thought.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:10 PM
is this a common problem with the 3 valve trucks?

Old 08-25-2009, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by nateinoc
it will go faster than 10 mph just happens at 10-15 mph,it been hot during the day,but cool at night. didn't know if it was running too lean,was a thought.
got your pm. cel=check engine light. i know the mileage is low but i would consider cleaning the maf. do you have any kind of oil charged drop in air filter? if it doesnt help than something may be screwing up with the throttle body. the throttle body on your truck is completely electronically controlled-no cable or anything, just wires going to it.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:13 PM
the truck is 100% stock besides the exhaust..and also just use "CRC" electrical connector cleaner?

Old 08-26-2009, 10:07 AM
where is the maf??

Originally Posted by Matts ford
got your pm. cel=check engine light. i know the mileage is low but i would consider cleaning the maf. do you have any kind of oil charged drop in air filter? if it doesnt help than something may be screwing up with the throttle body. the throttle body on your truck is completely electronically controlled-no cable or anything, just wires going to it.
haven't really worked on the truck beside oil change and adding fluid.but were is the maf located if you have a pic of were it is or just if you can explain were it is and what it looks like?

Old 08-26-2009, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by nateinoc
haven't really worked on the truck beside oil change and adding fluid.but were is the maf located if you have a pic of were it is or just if you can explain were it is and what it looks like?
i dont have any pics but it should be located before the bend on the air box with 2 torx head screws holding it on.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:56 PM

He's probably going to have to take it in. Don't worry you should be covered under the 100,000 mile fuel injector warranty. Ford extended that for the 05 models. So far only the 05 models are covered, -yea, take advantage of that.

Take it in/ mention the injector warranty and your problem, - so that's where they will look and replace parts.

That's what it sounds like to me, - or a broken plug (hope not). Look up the 2005 Ford Injector TSB / Print and take it with you

Last edited by jbrew; 08-26-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:44 PM
alright i am going to take a different approach at this, night driven makes you turn on your lights, so it might be drawin the battery down enough to not have enough juice to fire as hot as often.

I am thinking the alternator, just because that is what my truck kept doing if you gave a little it was fine, but when you floored it it layed back on its nose.

Just a more positive thought than maf sensors and a broken plug.

To test this, if you have a voltmeter read the the amount of volts the battery has while running, my new alty is putting out 14.44 volts with no lights.

just a thoght. These guys might be able to explain it better if youy dont understand

Old 08-26-2009, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by 97_MarkIII
alright i am going to take a different approach at this, night driven makes you turn on your lights, so it might be drawin the battery down enough to not have enough juice to fire as hot as often.

I am thinking the alternator, just because that is what my truck kept doing if you gave a little it was fine, but when you floored it it layed back on its nose.

Just a more positive thought than maf sensors and a broken plug.

To test this, if you have a voltmeter read the the amount of volts the battery has while running, my new alty is putting out 14.44 volts with no lights.

just a thoght. These guys might be able to explain it better if youy dont understand
Good Idea! - Also, check the battery before you start it. Anything less than 11.7 volts is considered dead. Bet you guys didn't know that

Should read atleast 12

Old 08-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Good Idea! - Also, check the battery before you start it. Anything less than 11.7 volts is considered dead. Bet you guys didn't know that

Should read atleast 12
I knew mine was dead when i lost my gauges untill i hit about 3500rpms
then 3/4 of the way home she just from wompwompwmop to blughhhhhhh

got the thing tested and i was putting out 11.8 volts on their machine with no load resistance.

Quick Reply: don't know what you would call it!!!!