Valve lasher Mabye HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valve lasher Mabye HELP!!!!

I went out of town for 9 days and when I got back my truck is runnig bad. I had a 1/4 tank of gas in it when I left. I now have a tapping noise and lose of power. Read some reviews and it sounds like it may be the valve lasher. I can push the peddle to the floor and it wont go above 3500 RMP Just wondering is this normal or how serious this is.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Before anyone can help, they need to know what engine and how many miles.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:22 PM
I have a 2006 F150 4x4 supercab. It has the 5.4L engine and was running strong before I went out of town. I was gone for 9 days and when I returned home it began a tapping sound. I read a few reviews and it sounds to me like it may be the valve lasher???? I not to familiar with engines so I am wondering how serious this is. The sound is similiar to a valve tapping but I find it had to be a valve since I change my oil every 5000 miles and everything was fine before I left. Spoke with a friend today and was told that I should be running motorcraft 5W-20 oil with a motorcraft oil filter. I was currently running fram oil filter with castrol oil. Could this really be the problem?

Old 06-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by marks2006f150
I have a 2006 F150 4x4 supercab. It has the 5.4L engine and was running strong before I went out of town. I was gone for 9 days and when I returned home it began a tapping sound. I read a few reviews and it sounds to me like it may be the valve lasher???? I not to familiar with engines so I am wondering how serious this is. The sound is similiar to a valve tapping but I find it had to be a valve since I change my oil every 5000 miles and everything was fine before I left. Spoke with a friend today and was told that I should be running motorcraft 5W-20 oil with a motorcraft oil filter. I was currently running fram oil filter with castrol oil. Could this really be the problem?
I highly suspect you found your problem. Fram is a no-no for Ford engines. They use cardboard for a drainback tube and it can collapse. Better quality filters use plastic. Change your oil and filter and see if you still have the problem.

Yes, Ford recommends Motorcraft 5-20, it's a synthetic blend.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by marks2006f150
fram oil filter=dry starts. every time you start your truck with them its causing premature wear. as for the noise- when does it occur? i'm sure its on startup but other than that when? where exactly is it coming from? top of engine? front of engine? bottom of engine? passenger side? driver side? did you take the truck with you on the trip? for the power loss- i'd check your fuel and filter. someone may have put sugar or something in your tank. could also be a timing chain/tensionor problem due to the filter and dry starts.

Last edited by Matts ford; 06-16-2009 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:03 PM
The noise can be heard mainly on the drivers side of the engine seems louder under the wheel-well but not real loud The truck was parked for 9 days while I was out of town. It was at my parents house so I dont think anyone put anything in my gas. Though it did only have a 1/4 tank of gas. Far as power loss; when driving between 35 and 50 I can put the peddle to the floor and it seems almost like I am pulling a trailer doesnt really want to accelerate fast. Spoke with the dealer over the phone and was told it could be two things Cam Phasers or Tappers. Going to change my oil and oil filter and drive it for a couple of days. Then I have to go to the dealer for a recall so if sound is still around then I will let them hear it and get there opinion.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:46 PM
TAPPING NOISE = damaged lash adjuster. The adjsuter was actually locked up. I was told that as mileage increases these adjusters frequently become clogged. I was also told that they arent just going to replace just one adjuster, but all the adjuster on the drivers side of the motor along with a new camshaft and rocker arms. Luckly I have the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty and this covers the repair with a $100 deductalbe. Other than that I will be out my truck for a couple days, but hey the Rental is a KIA YEAH!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Valve lasher Mabye HELP!!!!