Knocking Passenger side wheel well

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knocking Passenger side wheel well

Hey people,

So after reviewing these 2 videos I have determined that on my truck I do not think I have any of these issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liqWdZ9qgOQ

mms://multimedia.ford.com/seopts/Tech22_250k.wmv

But what I am getting is more of a knocking sound underneath the engine on the passenger side. From the engine bay you can't really hear it. In the cab it's noticeable. The knocking sound happens all the time (hot, cold, start up, idle or high reeving) and seems to be getting louder. One thing I noticed today after doing an oil change is aluminum metal flakes at the bottom of the oil container I was using to drain the oil into. The drain pan I was using was brand new so I know it wasn't something that was in there before.

Any ideas, after watching the tech video the only one that sounded like my problem was the cam lash issue?
But in the video when they played the example of bad cam lash the knocking is not consistent like it would miss a beat. Mine you can clearly hear knock, knock, knock, and it would get faster as you raise the rpm. This sound can be heard from over 10 feet away at idle.
Trucks performance seems to be the same.

I had this in a different section and one person replied stating "sounds like a spun rod bearing. New motor might be in order".
Does this sound correct?

Truck stats:
100K miles this started about 10k miles ago, its a 2004 Screw 5.4l 2wd.

Thanks Kevin

Old 01-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Quite possibly a rod knock. The aluminum flakes would be bearing material. You didn't say if it was a 2 or 3 valve 5.4. You can isolate the cylinder by either unplugging each fuel injector, or coil pack (whichever is easier to get to) one at a time. I would concentrate only on the cylinders on the pass side since that's where you hear it. When the knock goes away, that is the bad cylinder. Rod knocks only happen under a load. Remove the load, and the knock goes away.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:05 PM
It's the 3 valve 5.4L V8.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Ok people,

I just got a call form the stealer ship about my truck. Had an estimate done. This is what they told me over the phone:
"It will be $1684 to repair my problem if the cam is still good.
They are stating that the lifters in cylinder 3 and 4 on the passenger side are bad and will need to be replaced as will the VCT will need to be replaced also."

How does this sound, should I take it someplace else to have another estimate done, or should I try to just fix it myself. I do have someone here that is very knowledgeable when it comes to working on vehicles.

Thanks Kevin

Old 01-15-2009, 12:13 AM
Anyone?

Just to restate what the dealer told me is on cylinder 3 and 4 on the passenger side will both need new lash adjuster and a cam phaser.

Has anyone done this job themselves?

Quick Reply: Knocking Passenger side wheel well