Throttle Sticking...Very Cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle Sticking...Very Cold

Hi everyone... I am new to these forums, but glad to find some that are targeted directly for the F-150's trucks that I love so much.

I have a 1997 F-150 XLT (4.6 V8)

I live in Alaska and lately the Temperatures have hit -40*F to -50*F. The first time I noticed the throttle sticking was at -35*F.

Now this Vehicle was a season as it is a rear wheel only but I have sense began to use it during the winter with 180 pounds of traction sand over each rear tire... no biggie.

The vehicle will randomly choose when it wants to have the throttle stick. The first time I wasn't too bright about driving it in these sub zero temps and I was on cruise control the whole ride into town (15 miles) only to find that it didn't want to stop... thought my cruise control was stuck on.

The second time last week the vehicle went into the center of the highway ditch as the problem happened again... This time after sitting in the center of the highway with the truck being turned on and off to warm me and my girlfriend up... and it sitting off for about 5 minutes the idle came from 4.5k back to normal when I turned it on for the last time. I drove the truck home normally and put it in a friends warm garage for over 12 hours to let it thaw. The truck drop for 2 trips to and from town without a problem.

and finally again this morning where I went over a curb and parked it in a parking lot.

Luckily all three times I have gotten away unscathed and no tickets from any cops. Its just not safe to drive it like this and with the roads how they are. With the roads being like ice rinks the brakes are not enough to keep the truck from spinning the back tires.

At first I though it was due to ice build up in the throttle body from water in the gas... but now im suspecting the grease in the cables to be the culprit. Anyone have experience with this issue in a climate such as mine??? And of course what is your recommendation on a cheap fix (a shop... as much as I would be able to do it myself I lack the time and a warm garage at -50*F to take care of this)

Thanks for all of the help in Advance guys, looking forward to posting here.

Quick Reply: Throttle Sticking...Very Cold