98 crown vic starter on a 97 f-150?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 crown vic starter on a 97 f-150?

my starter is still giving me probs and id rather not have to crawl under my truck with 6 inchs of snow on the ground just to start it. a friend of my just blew the 4.6L out of a crown vic he got it swaped with a diff one and has an extra starter i was wondering are these the same starter? its the same engine and trans combo 4.6L 4R70W 2wd id assume theyd work but id rather know before takeing my starter out AGAIN! and being wrong.

Thanks guys

Old 12-19-2008, 09:11 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Same block - should work shifty I use quite a bit of crown vic parts on my 5four..

Last edited by jbrew; 12-19-2008 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:18 AM
thanks Jbrew just wanted to make sure bc our starters are a PITA to get out. ive takenin mine out like 3 times in the past 2 months and that top bolt never gets any easyer. Is there anyway to fix my starter prob? the black thing on the solinad can swivle it can move clockwise and counter clockwise. found out yesterday if i turn it counter clockwise as far as it can go it works. but bumps and vibration from the header im guessin shake it loose. when i took it apart i didnt see anyway to make that tighten down.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by shifty_85
thanks Jbrew just wanted to make sure bc our starters are a PITA to get out. ive takenin mine out like 3 times in the past 2 months and that top bolt never gets any easyer. Is there anyway to fix my starter prob? the black thing on the solinad can swivle it can move clockwise and counter clockwise. found out yesterday if i turn it counter clockwise as far as it can go it works. but bumps and vibration from the header im guessin shake it loose. when i took it apart i didnt see anyway to make that tighten down.
It was allot easier without headers wasn't it

Black thing, black thing , black thing? What black thing are you twisting ?

Old 12-19-2008, 11:25 AM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by shifty_85
I believe that it has a crimped end. Take a screwdriver or chisel and hammer and stake it. Like you do for some FWD axle nuts. see pic;

Last edited by JMC; 12-19-2008 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Sig
Old 12-19-2008, 11:30 AM

This -

I know it's not on the solenoid .. I'm lost. Yuh lost me shifty.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:34 AM
no on the starter it self. the solinad above the starter. the black area were all the postive B postive and S studs are. the thing you broke the other day. that black area can swivle and all the electrcail studs swivle with it. i have no idea how to tighten that i didnt see any bolts. me and my buddy took the solinad off the starter tryed to figure it out theres 2 lil dents in the solinad so we took a screw driver and hit it with a hammer and it made it not spin as muc but now its back to doing it. could i buy just that solinad. because this is a 180 dollar starter and im sure the starter part is fine its just the solinad is messed up.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:43 AM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Ok, turn it so it is about 1/4 turn from where it will work and take a hack saw and cut a slot. Turn it the extra 1/4 turn and then stake it where the slot was cut.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:44 AM
not a bad idea ill grab that CV starter in case i mess sumthing up

Quick Reply: 98 crown vic starter on a 97 f-150?