frustrated!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
frustrated!!!

Well my truck is misfiring again. Im am really getting fed up with Ford. I keep replacing plugs and coils but I would say about once a year I am replacing another cop. This truck has really been a lemon for me. I am going to take it to the Ford dealer and hopefully get this one taken care of I havent had a check engine light on yet though. It is running really rough like it has all the other times Ive blown a COP.

Sorry for that rant. But here is my question what is the best way to solve this problem. Am I doing something wrong. I have used only motorcraft and OEM parts. My dad is paying for me to get the coil fixed so I can get home and drive my truck back and forth from school but once I get some money saved up I want to replace the plugs and cops and want to know what I have to do to solve this problem for hopefully good. Thanks for any help Ive been searching this site but seems like theres nothing you can do except bend over and replace them again and I am sick of it.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by f15062
Well my truck is misfiring again. Im am really getting fed up with Ford. I keep replacing plugs and coils but I would say about once a year I am replacing another cop. This truck has really been a lemon for me. I am going to take it to the Ford dealer and hopefully get this one taken care of I havent had a check engine light on yet though. It is running really rough like it has all the other times Ive blown a COP.

Sorry for that rant. But here is my question what is the best way to solve this problem. Am I doing something wrong. I have used only motorcraft and OEM parts. My dad is paying for me to get the coil fixed so I can get home and drive my truck back and forth from school but once I get some money saved up I want to replace the plugs and cops and want to know what I have to do to solve this problem for hopefully good. Thanks for any help Ive been searching this site but seems like theres nothing you can do except bend over and replace them again and I am sick of it.
Did you replace them ALL at once or are you replacing them as they wear out? if you had done them ALL you wouldnt have to keep doing it. You can buy the coils for $89(set) on e-bay from Global and they have had good reviews from people here. Get them along with motor craft plugs (you can get those from rock auto for less then $5 each) and either install them yourself or pay someone to do it for you. Then you'll be good for about 100k miles.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:33 PM
I had them replaced with OEM parts at a shop by me. Probably 8months later I blew a cop so I took it to a certified ford dealer replaced them all. After that it lasted around year blew another got the cop replaced. Then the last time I blew a plug out of the head and had to get a helicoil, plug and coil, now I am where I am now. Im almost certain I am misfiring again. So if what you said is right I should have 200k out of those two complete sets I put into it. I bought the truck with 65k on it Im at 130k. Other than in the summer when I pull a 12ft livestock trailer with my showpigs in it and supplies it doesnt get worked very hard. I just use it as my daily driver. Im going to get it fixed and then when I have the money saved up I will replace all the spark plugs and coils except the one I just replaced in the spring. This problem just keeps reoccuring and Im getting really sick of it. I plan getting the plugs and cops replaced, realigning the front end, maybe getting some hi-flow cats to improve performance and Ive thought about getting a tuner but Im worried about doing that to an older truck. Once Im out of school I think Im going to get a diesel so I dont have to worry about this problem anymore.

I guess what I am saying is wouldnt having the plugs and COPs replaced twice and all these problems Im having mean that something else is up. What causes this? What can I do to fix it. Ive seen a couple post recommending using V10 coils. Will this beef it up so that maybe it will last longer. Any suggestions would be great. Im going to the dealer monday morning so I would like to know what I can have them do to solve this problem.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:44 PM
Sounds like sombody did a bad job of replacing them. Over tightened and or miss threaded them.. There are only about 5 threads in the spark plug holes once they are damaged your screwed. The coils themselves should last for about 100k. So should the plugs.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:53 PM
you know now that I think about it, it wasnt motorcraft in there last time. The guy said that he put motorcraft in because there are only three threads on them so you want to put a longer plug in. I might see if they can put motorcraft plugs in the other ones. I had #7 replaced so maybe the other 7 i should get replaced. It has been running a little rough for awhile so. Ill talk to the dealer monday about getting new plugs. It shouldnt cost to much extra if it does Ill wait and take it to my mechanic at home and bring him the parts.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:06 PM
Dealer charges 14.75 per plug you can get at rock auto for 4.75. Modular engines are very picky about the plugs they like. Motorcraft plugs are the ***** that works. Its not the plugs that lack threads its the sparkplug hole. Your last mechanic was up in the night. Dont ever use anything else but motorcraft plugs it just aint worth the risk. You want to R&R those plugs as rarely as possible.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Not 5 threads - Not 3 threads in chambers either. There's 4 -honest.

Make absolutly sure that you have MOTORCRAFT spark plugs in their. This is important VERY - Check and post back.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Ok heres the update. Blew a coil I didnt ask which one probably 4 though becauses its either that one or 7 that I keep blowing. Im getting new motorcraft plugs put in 31 bucks for the plugs 95 bucks for the coil. My question is everyone says use only motorcraft but why do they cost 95 bucks and the ones from global you can get all of them for about that price. All I hear everyone say here is usually the more it cost the better quality you get so whats the deal. Maybe I misunderstood what the dealer said but looks like I should be able to get my truck fixed for under 300 bucks which is good for how crappy it is running right now. Hopefully with having all motorcraft I wont have to worry about another misfire for awhile. I dont get why the other ford dealer I got it fixed at a couple years ago didnt use motorcraft plugs. The ones they took out are a good inch shorter. Hopefully problem solved.

Quick Reply: frustrated!!!