Speed control on fire

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speed control on fire

I was at a shopping center the other day, and when I start it my truck I saw smoke coming out from under the hood, sure enought my speed control swicht was on fire, Thank God I was in a parking lot and not at home under my deck. Any way some wires got melted and my brake fluid reservoir. I took the truck to the dealer and I was told that other owners of the F-150 that had the same thing happen to them Ford denied them, because they send them notices of the recall and they, we never took the truck in for service. My question is Do I have any chance of making them pay, and what can I do. or I'm fu@$? Thanks in advance for any help...

Old 09-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by rakingya
I was at a shopping center the other day, and when I start it my truck I saw smoke coming out from under the hood, sure enought my speed control swicht was on fire, Thank God I was in a parking lot and not at home under my deck. Any way some wires got melted and my brake fluid reservoir. I took the truck to the dealer and I was told that other owners of the F-150 that had the same thing happen to them Ford denied them, because they send them notices of the recall and they, we never took the truck in for service. My question is Do I have any chance of making them pay, and what can I do. or I'm fu@$? Thanks in advance for any help...
a recall is a recall. ford's suppose to pay for it. i had my notice for 1 year before i actually got the recall done for it.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:46 PM
oh and ford only has to pay for the recall not the damage done.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:43 PM
Ford is not going to pay for the repairs as they sent out the Recall notice over a year ago so in their eyes you had plenty of time to have their taken care of prior to having the fire.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Do they have proof that you received the recall? Has the truck been to the dealer since the recall was issued for any reason? Ford should be libel for the damage as they manufactured a faulty product. Contact the regional service manager directly. As for the added damage they are lucky as are you because people have had their home burn down when the fire started in the garage and people have died.
When ford sent me the recall notice I called my dealer. What I got was, sorry but we don't have the parts available at this time. I then went to the local parts store and bought the switch for about $15. When I had the van in for a different problem much later I found out that they had changed the switch without asking me a thing about it just told me after the fact. Now for the best part of the story. Months later I received a letter stating that I needed to come back in because (get this) the wiring that they had installed with the inline fuse in it was manufactured incorrectly. It seems that they put the fuse on the ground leg instead of the power supply side. So if the switch did fail as they had been doing the power would have continued to short through the brake fluid and cause the fire anyway. Again I call the dealer right away about this problem and guess what they said. Sorry we don't have the parts in yet. Ok now I go and examine the wiring and they're right. Well I take the wiring harness they had put on and correct it. Now the fuse is on the supply side. When you want something done right DO IT YOURSELF!

Old 09-27-2008, 04:14 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Richard D
Ford is not going to pay for the repairs as they sent out the Recall notice over a year ago so in their eyes you had plenty of time to have their taken care of prior to having the fire.
x2!

Old 09-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Old 09-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rakingya
did you get a recall notice? if so when? If you got the notice awhile ago.. sorry charlie.. I hope Ford doesn't pay. If you bought the truck used from a brand x dealer or private party... I hope you get help. If you bought the truck from a Ford dealer used... I hope you get help.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:42 PM
When You're Hot, You're Hot

Ford Motor Company would like to be a little less heated these days. Federal safety inspectors have expanded their probe of vehicle fires from Ford trucks and SUVs to Ford minivans. The National Highway Safety Administration says is looking into reports of Ford Winstar fires that seem to break out with little warning. The agency reported receiving 134 consumer complaints of engine compartment fires in the Windstar. The agency also reported that Ford has received 285 complaints of engine compartment fires in the Windstar. The automaker has also responded to 137 warranty claims after engine compartment fires in the minivan, according to the NHTSA Web site.
From; http://www.consumeraffairs.com/index.html
HEY CHRIS did you read about my little adventure into the world of recall solutions? Rakingya does'nt mention getting a recall notice and even if he did Ford still screwed the pooch on this one.

Last edited by Shorebird; 09-27-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks to all of you. I did receive the letter for the recall, and I put it to the side, I ment to disconect the speed control and never got around it. Any way I think if they want to keep their customers happy they should repair my truck for free, I did paid over 35,000 dollars for my truck 2000 F-150 Lariat that came w/a diffect that could of kill me. Again thanks everybody, I'm still waiting for Ford to decide, I'll let you guys know what happens.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:45 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
I did receive the letter for the recall, and I put it to the side, I ment to disconect the speed control and never got around it.
Sorry to say, but that's negligence on your part. Good luck.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to pay, they won't.

Turn it in to your insurance company if the cost to repair exceeds your comprehensive deductible. Write off your out of pocket expenditure as a "stupid tax" for not following up on a recall that they specifically told you in the recall notification could cause a vehicle fire.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:00 PM
OK. Guys thanks again for your comments, The dealer got back and guest what, Ford denied me, the repair is going to cost me $500+ my insurance deductible is 500 so I'm not going to call them. I'll let them do the work to get it over with. I like my truck but next time I buy a new one again its not going to be a Ford. they loose a custumer for 500 dollars.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:29 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I understand your being upset with it costing you $500, but I don't see where it is really anyone's fault but your own. Ford did what they needed to do and informed you and said they would fix it for free. That is what I had done as did hundreds of thousands of owners. It was in the papers and on the news. They showed trucks burning and taking houses down with them. The only person you really should be upset with is yourself.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:38 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
You didn't even spend the 2 minutes needed to disconnect the speed control.............I really hate to dog on you, but I resent you dissing Ford over denying a claim here. You were clearly negligent and no automaker is in business to pay for an owner's negligence.

Quick Reply: Speed control on fire