need help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 05:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help please

tired old truck wont start...97 f150 4x4,,,5.4l,,,230,000mi.... when i turn the key everything lights up like it should and as i try to start i hear a thud sound coming from around the main fuses on the fire wall passenger side. starter never makes a sound. is this a relay or something gone bad or is my starter gone bad

Old 08-28-2008, 03:53 PM
bad starter soliniod is pulling in (thunking noise) but starter does not nurn

Old 08-29-2008, 05:57 PM
Before you throw a starter at it, make sure the engine will turn with a wrench on the crank. The bolt is an 18mm. If it turns, make sure the small wire on the starter is getting power to it and the bigger wire has power on it, then replace the starter

Old 08-29-2008, 07:23 PM
Suspended
Easier yet, have a buddy try to crank it and get under there and whack the starter with a hammer. There may be a dead spot in the coil. Do you get a click like a dead battery noise??

Old 09-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Check the interior fuse block or panel for corrosion or rust. Sometimes they become victims of water intrusion resulting from windshield area water leaks.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:04 AM
Went through a similar thing about a month ago, learn from my mistake and save yourself some money. Pop the hood and find your starter relay switch--it'll be on the firewall on the passenger side next to your main battery fuse--round and about the size of a big walnut. It has three posts--one's a plug-on connector (this is to your ignition switch) the other two big studs will be (1) two hot wires coming from your main battery fuse to the right of that switch (as you're facing it) and (2) one wire leading out to your starter (this should be on the left side of the relay). Get a good piece of wire you trust--unplug that little ignition wire from the relay and take your trusty piece of wire and make connection from the hot post of your battery (I'm assuming you have a fully charged battery)--the positive terminal and that little stud you unplugged your ignition wire from. If you hear your starter kick in, your problem lies BEHIND that relay---ignition switch or transmission sensor probably. If your starter did not kick in, fall to your knees, clasp hands together, and praise God, Allah, Buddha, or whomever suits your fancy because you just avoided a ****load of trouble. Assuming that didn't work (and I'm betting it didn't) take a good screwdriver and lay it across those two big studs on the relay switch--be prepared--you're going to see some sparks fly. If you now hear your starter kick in (and I bet you will), your problem is that relay switch--about 13-14 dollars at NAPA. If that's the problem, remember to bolt that new switch back to the firewall before you try it--the switch must be grounded and the firewall is the ground (learned this the hard way--I was about to set my '98 F150 on fire when someone in this forum [believe it was SHO89--if I had two heroes, he'd be both of them] straightened me out). If your starter did not kick in, follow the wire on the left side of that relay switch to your starter. Take your trusty piece of wire and make a connection from the positive terminal of your battery to the post where that left-side relay wire connects to your starter/solenoid--if your starter now kicks in the problem is in the wiring from the relay switch to the starter. If it does not kick in, the problem is your starter/solenoid (might as well replace both if this is the problem, they come as one part anyway). Assuming you are working with a fully charged battery (and if in doubt--steal your buddy's--what are friends for?) and there's something you're not telling me (like, right before this problem my engine made a high-pitched whine and then went BOOM), this is a foolproof method of isolating the problem. If none of the above works, put a socket and a big ratchet on the front bolt of your crankshaft and give her a good tug--it'll be tough because of the compression and the serpentine belt tension, but it should turn over. Check your automatic fuel cut-off switch (lay your head in the passenger side floorboard next to the kick panel and look up--you'll see it--I think it's red) and see if it's been tripped and needs to be reset. Anyway, hope this helps---The Vinman.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nice write up Vince. Very thorough !!
I had the same problem on my 1998.
Bad wiring from the relay to the starter solanoid fried my solanoid.
I ran a new wire harness (pos) from the battery to relay, relay to starter. I ran all new neg cable (3 wire)from battery to starter, to body mount and to frame mount.
No problems since.
I could not believe how bad the Positive wire was frayed (missing wire jacket on most of the wire underneath), burnt and corroded.

You can just buy the starter solanoid, but I say the heck with that and spend the extra $$$ and replace the whole thing.
Napa has good aftermarket main wire harness's, you just have to measure your current length's and get it close. On the positive harness, I had some extra wire length. I just figure 8 looped it, zip-tied it, banded it with electrical tape and ziptied it to a safe area down along the frame.

TJKinCNY

Old 09-11-2008, 12:29 PM
thanx for all the help,,,checked most of the things suggested,,,,finally pulled starter and found the braded wire from the solenoid to the starter had burnt or corroded into. put new starter on from napa and all is well thanx again everyone.