more power

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more power

hey,

I dont know if this is the right thread spot but if you could give me sum answers on what to do would be great! thanx

I have a couple questions for you guys and I would really appreciate it if you could give me some answers. well to start it off I am 17 yrs old and I have a 99 f150 with the 5.4 in er. I just put a new motor in it at 285000 and put a new tranny and put a 9.75 locker also. I would like some more power thou! I wanna buy a programmer and i dont know what type to get. I was thinking about a superchip but i dont know what would be the best for power and milege.

Thnaks

David

Old 07-25-2008, 10:57 PM
what gears do you have? i'd go with 4.10's for the torque. the superchip would be fine. alot of people on here like the troyers and edges and such. do exhaust with high flow cats and cai. e-fans would be good. dont waste money on throttle bodies or spacers, there a joke.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:11 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
real question is budget.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:49 PM
There really isnt a budget i just want sum ideas for now. I make PLENTY of money to do what i want, but want sum ideas i also heard bout a procharger system from ati? or sumthing would tht b worth it?? ya i know bout throttle bodies spacers they are a waste. I have high flow cats kumin next week and have electric fans i bought just gotta put em on. I am running just the stock 3.73 nothing special. The thing is that i work every weekend in a different state pretty much and i cant sacrafice the gas milege. But i want the power!!
well if you guys could let me know waht i could get and what the power gain would b tht would b great!

Thanks
dave

Old 07-27-2008, 09:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i cant sacrafice the gas milege. But i want the power!!
Should have gotten a diesel .

In all seriousness though I have the same truck you do and have been looking to upgrade it myself. I would put a CAI in if you don't have one already. I've been told K&N makes excellent intakes. This is the one that I will be getting for mine.

http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...A1914A0A0.aspx

For more power you could get headers, a good tune, better gears, a built engine, a supercharger, pulleys. There are many options.

As far as mileage goes there are things you can do for free to help it out.

1. Be aware of your tire pressure. Too low and your mileage suffers. Too high and you risk a blowout.
2. Stay off of it!!! . Instead of going 70-80 on the interstate go 65. There aren't too many things you can put into an engine that will increase power output and mileage at the same time. With a cold air intake you might see an increase of 1.5 to 2 mpgs if you are lucky. There is also the Hypertech Max Energy E-Con on that same site. They have some pretty good stuff on there.

All in all I'm in the same boat as you and I don't know a whole lot about performance parts but I'm learning as I go along. Hope this helped some.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:04 AM
well I have headers on it now and this 5.4 that i put in it last fall is built more than the stock one. I am pushing around 350 hp. I would like to do the supercharger but i go mudding ALOT! lol and I live in northern wisconsin where during the winter there's weeks were it dont get above 0. that cant be easy on the supercharger at all. But i was told about superchips programmer and the intake 4sure that will be my next upgrade very soon! But i guess i am not really that concerned on gas milege that much i want sum power thou and dont know which way to turn that can stand up to everything i throw at it!

Well thanks for the help
Dave

Old 07-28-2008, 09:31 PM
if you do decide to go with the k&n intake just go to summitracing.com and get the one by summit. all it is, is a k&n intake with the name slapped right on it. its alot cheaper. for my truck there was a $60 difference between the 2 brands.

Quick Reply: more power