Vibrating noise under my right dash

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibrating noise under my right dash

So I posted this on the HVAC thread but im not getting much help and I dont have time to sit and wait, its fn hot in Austin Texas baby!!! Anyways, When I turn my AC on it starts to vibrate under the right dash and gets louder as i turn it up. As of yesterday, from being at work all day, I walk to my truck and as soon as I open the door, it smells like something died in my truck. I honestly for a moment something did, but I open the hood and there is no smell from there. The scent intensifies as I turn the AC on, so that means im not using the AC right now. The AC doesnt have to be on and it still smells like a dead squirrel! I have a 99 f150 with about 156,000 miles on it. Please someone help me! I read on other threads about an AC heater core or blender door. Could that be it? If so, Im in deep you know what. I see posts up to 1000.00 to replace it and up to 8 hours to do it yourself. Im kind of scared to replace my whole dash and etc. Thanks everybody.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The noise.....

You have several possibilities in regards to the smell and the noise.
Because of the smell I might suspect a small heater core leak. Old antifreeze smells awful. I was not so fortunate. My heater core just leaked all at once. I had to pull the seats and carpet out. It costs me several hundred dollars in labor alone to get the core replaced. You have top pull the dash off.
There is also the blower motor which can rattle over time.
Another possibility for the smell is that your AC is not working up to par and taking all the moisture out of the air as it passes over the condensor. This moisture can leave a funk in your system for sure.
Is the AC blowing cold? If so I would check your coolant level and star nosing around the floor boards.
Let us know what you find!

Old 07-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by suavehorn
So I posted this on the HVAC thread but im not getting much help and I dont have time to sit and wait, its fn hot in Austin Texas baby!!! Anyways, When I turn my AC on it starts to vibrate under the right dash and gets louder as i turn it up. As of yesterday, from being at work all day, I walk to my truck and as soon as I open the door, it smells like something died in my truck. I honestly for a moment something did, but I open the hood and there is no smell from there. The scent intensifies as I turn the AC on, so that means im not using the AC right now. The AC doesnt have to be on and it still smells like a dead squirrel! I have a 99 f150 with about 156,000 miles on it. Please someone help me! I read on other threads about an AC heater core or blender door. Could that be it? If so, Im in deep you know what. I see posts up to 1000.00 to replace it and up to 8 hours to do it yourself. Im kind of scared to replace my whole dash and etc. Thanks everybody.
I'd pull the blower to see if maybe a small critter like a mouse got trapped. Something is most likely throwing the blower out of balance and causing the vibe and smell.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:52 PM
Excuse me for my stupidity, but where is my blower? How easy is it to get to? Can I do it my self?

Old 07-25-2008, 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by suavehorn
Excuse me for my stupidity, but where is my blower? How easy is it to get to? Can I do it my self?
the a/c blower motor is near the fire wall, under the glove box. It has a round flange with about half dozen screws holding it in place.

Quick Reply: Vibrating noise under my right dash