4.6 engine gone bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.6 engine gone bad?

well ill start off by introducing myself as a long time lurker first time posting. my name is bill, i drive a 98 short box and the 4.6 is giving me some trouble. i did as much searching as i could but was still left with a few questions so here goes and any help is appreciated.

the engine started with a slight ticking and i thought it was just a lifter giving me some noise so i started out with a fresh oil change. this did help, but the tick was still there at start up. everything seemed ok for awhile. i then took the truck on a road trip and about halfway through the ticking got alot worse. not knowing the modular engines very well i pulled into the next stop and changed my oil, i put in some thicker oil and some valve conditioner hoping it would help out the tick until i got home. the tick didnt seem to be getting any worse and home was about 2 hours away so i headed back out and took it easy hoping to limp it in and change the lifter once i got back. well after about an hour on the road the noise was terrible and almost sounded like i also blew out a rod bearing at the same time. i pulled the driveshaft and we flat towed it home with my old mans f250.

now at home ive researched for a week and realized i dont have lifters, and that thicker oil might not have been the best idea, (im used to older fords like my 62 and some of the mid 70's windsors and 460's).

so now im looking into what options i have, should i not bother trying to fix up this one while its in the engine bay? if i pull the engine i would like to either replace it or rebuild it. is rebuilding it difficult? or is there some tricks to it that i should know about before i dive in (average back yard mechanic). ive read in some threads that swapping in a 5.4 isnt too much work, but i couldnt really find any info as to what is all involved as far as extra costs and parts that im going to have to change out (im thinking fuel pumps, maybe injectors, tranmission, motor mounts, etc?)

asides from that does anyone have an idea of what kind of damage ive done to the engine and what might need to be replaced if i didnt go with a complete rebuild?

ive seen some reman sites but none of them seem to ship to canada. does anyone happen to have a good engine that i could buy off of them? ive found some locally, a couple of high milage ones for 500 each and used ones for 1500.

sorry for the long post but any info would be greatly appreciated,
bill

Old 07-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
welcome to the website, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come to your rescue.

Only thing i know is you will need a 5.4 w/ full harness, and preferably with a trans
you should probably upgrade to COP and PI heads, updated motor if you go with 5.4 or stay with the 4.6

Old 07-07-2008, 09:16 PM
damn that sux did the motor lock up?

Old 07-07-2008, 10:39 PM
ok, sounds like im going to be sticking with a 4.6 if im going to need a new trans to go along with the 5.4 The engine is still running, it did not lock up, i just shut it down as the noise(s) got worse. i dont want to say it didnt lose power, although it didnt seem to lose any, i was taking it very easy and not pushing it to find out

Old 07-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
You can stay with coil packs and stock harness going 5four. I believe that might be an easier route.

JMC has great write-up on it.

Good Luck.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
man idk about the damage....but if you rebuild it you will run into alot of problems...ive seen 3 rebuilt engines crap out in my lifetime...1 of my own...if it were me i would just buy a new 4.6

Old 07-08-2008, 03:22 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
TEAR DOWN! oh sorry... what i would do IF you had ample opportunity. i would do a complete teardown with the motor out planning for a rebuild, pull the came journal caps off. this should be a quick indicator of any damage, which could stem from a bad crank main or rod bearing. check your bottom end bearings for visible damage. you may be able to just get away with having the crank turned and cyl's honed/bored and start over with your standard oversized bearings / pistons. i personally took this method with a spare motor. lots of damage was done so i just used the block.

if time is an issue, you can do a 5.4 swap relatively easily. keep the coil pacs, you'll need to make a new bracket or 2 though for them. no big deal. you'll need to chat with a tuner.

Trending Topics

Old 07-08-2008, 06:09 PM
thanks for the info guys. time isnt of the biggest issue as i do have a few spare cars that i could drive in the meantime. but i do like the idea of swapping in a 5.4 instead of swapping in another 4.6 If im going to do a swap i might as well upgrade right?
ive done some more research and found that i should be able to just swap the engine in, along with a new flywheel since i have the romeo block in my truck as it sits. i can keep the ignition coils and make up a few brackets, once the engine is in i will have to take it to a tune shop or maybe buy a programer to set my rpm redline and i should be set up?
Is there any other headaches out there that i should know about before buying a new or used 5.4? im assuming i will need everything from the oil pan up to the intake? thanks again,
Bill

Old 07-08-2008, 07:55 PM
hummm...i like the 5.4 swap idea...but im not sure how much of a problem thats gonna be....i mean im no engine swappin master mind but i think you man need a new tranny cuz idk if the 4.6 tranny will match a 5.4 engine..and yea you would need headers/manifolds and brackets and i dont know what all...but yea if your gonna buy a new engine might as well upgrade!!! and while your doin that might as well get headers and run a full exhaust and spiff up the engine a little shift kit and stuff of that nature..

Old 07-08-2008, 09:07 PM
truck has true dual exhaust as it is. just hoping to find the most reasonable way to get the truck back on the road. if that is with a new engine then i would be a fan of the 5.4 swap

Old 07-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Bill Davenport
truck has true dual exhaust as it is. just hoping to find the most reasonable way to get the truck back on the road. if that is with a new engine then i would be a fan of the 5.4 swap
u can pick up a Mark VIII engine for fairly cheap off ebay. more hp and tq and make the truck funner to drive they also made use of the COP's also

Old 07-08-2008, 09:22 PM
Options.........

A Mark VIII DOHC, I'm doing a 4.6 DOHC. Dont think for a minute that it's a simple drop in! Mine is a Aviator modded in the shortblock. Much custon B.S.

Now, I'm in NYC and if you have the ability, I have a 97-98 4.6 Longblock with new Motorsport head gaskets, head bolts and oil pump ready to go. It's a windsor eight stud crank motor. As well as a Ford factory rebuilt 5.4. 2003 engine with a 2005 rebuild tag on it. If you considering that route.

Now on another note the 97-98 does NOT use COP's. It's the main reason I bought a 97. The COP's really bite!! They have a weak spark, at best, and thats when they are not worn or missing. I run a stock coil with a Jacobs DIS ignition box.

ksilibovsky@hotmail.com

Last edited by lowflyingbird; 07-08-2008 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:19 PM
that sounds pretty interesting. my wife works for a trucking company, i'll see if they can get an engine to me from ny. if its feesable that might be an interesting option, how much are you looking for the 5.4? maybe shoot me a pm or an email ( i think my email is in my profile) if you dont want to post up here. thanks for all the replies guys, i think im getting closer to figuring out what im goinig to land on

Old 07-09-2008, 03:34 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
imho a 5.4 swap vs a dohc 4.6 is easier. theres only a few minor discrepancies between your 4.6 and a 5.4 swap in. you've already started your research, got a little further and you should know everything u need to know.

manifolds sit in a slightly different position cause of deck heights.

a few wires need lengthened. i think u've got it all found.

also to clarify for f150fella, the 4.6/5.4 are mod motors, they share the same bellhousing pattern.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by Klitch
imho a 5.4 swap vs a dohc 4.6 is easier. theres only a few minor discrepancies between your 4.6 and a 5.4 swap in. you've already started your research, got a little further and you should know everything u need to know.

manifolds sit in a slightly different position cause of deck heights.

a few wires need lengthened. i think u've got it all found.

also to clarify for f150fella, the 4.6/5.4 are mod motors, they share the same bellhousing pattern.

ok thanks man now i know...i had always wondered about that heck i might switch to a 5.4 now that i know that!!! instead of my 4.6

Quick Reply: 4.6 engine gone bad?