5.4 Heater Hose - How hard a job?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 05:23 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The Plastic Intake manifolds are prone to leaking. It is most likely cracked. Pull it and look closely where the crossover bolts to the manifold. The metal crossover is actually bolted to the Intake Manifold from underneath the Intake.

Regards

Jean MarcChartier

Old 10-03-2011, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So can you fix this hose without pulling the manifold?

Old 07-31-2020, 05:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool That hose!?!?!

[QUOTE=jbrew;3281877]Alright , heres some -

The O-Rings that go bad . Heres a pic of the recess in the water pump stem the O-rings ride in. Mine were so bad , they were just about disintegrated and aren't pictured. This pic was taken after the stem was cleaned up.

__________________________________________________ ______________

Water pump mod w/heater hose . If you do this mod , make sure you tighten the clamp on an angle so the clamp bolts aren't higher than the rubber fitting. If you don't the bolts hit the lower intake upon install.

Also if the heads pitted around the water jacket/jackets. Use some aluminum filler/sand smooth before re-installing the manifold.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Heater core hoses - These are the wrong kind I used at first. They fit good, but you have to band clamp the firewall inlet and outlet @ the heater core. This is insufficient and will loosen in time and blow off . You need the Ford replacement lines @ the dealership. Also that smaller hose plugs into the supply tube. that can leak in the same are above the starter.

__________________________________________________ _______________

that 3/8 looking hose coming out from the behind the intake. WHERE DOES IT GO? My hose corroded and broke off at the hardline and now i cant trace it to replace it.

The following 2 users liked this post by zachelder:
Old 09-26-2023, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3/8" hose that comes from the back of intake

Originally Posted by jbrew
I'm thinking you don't have the smaller hose. I believe the set up was changed in 99. I think you have a plastic manifold were mine is aluminum.

Anyway , that hose connects to the tree on the Throttle body elbow (Plenum) you can barley see where it's connected on the very left in this pic, below the Plenum bolt w/little clamp on it -

Yea , here's a 2000 throttle body and Plenum - No tree , doesn't have that small hose -

Yea, here's a pick of my old one , you can see the tree in this pic, on the left side of the plenum (elbow) -

It goes to the tree on the left side of throttle body when facing like pic. Check jbrews post and pics above.

Quick Reply: 5.4 Heater Hose - How hard a job?