F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   V8 Engines (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines-24/)
-   -   Hydrogen HHO set up Yes or No? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines/335160-hydrogen-hho-set-up-yes-no.html)

bigjayzway 06-02-2008 03:00 AM

Hydrogen HHO set up Yes or No?

I have been considering trying out this HHO system everyone is talking about so much.
I have talked to several people and all think it is a good idea.
Only nobody really wants to be the first to try it!
Has anyone on here tried it, or considered it?
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
:bows:

bigjayzway 06-02-2008 03:41 AM

WHOA! Never mind.
I just searched in in our forums, and I don't even want to re-start this topic.
Sorry should of searched prior to posting.

projectSHO89 06-02-2008 08:52 AM

Lol!

Discretion is the better part of valor....

cw974x4 06-02-2008 09:37 AM

i just put one on my truck this weekend have not drove it enough but will post results later this week

wildbadbill 06-02-2008 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by bigjayzway (Post 3231978)
WHOA! Never mind.
I just searched in in our forums, and I don't even want to re-start this topic.
Sorry should of searched prior to posting.

where did you research about it?

wildbadbill 06-02-2008 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by cw974x4 (Post 3232092)
i just put one on my truck this weekend have not drove it enough but will post results later this week

which one did you install?

cw974x4 06-02-2008 09:50 AM

a friend gave me a copy of one he got off the net he has it on a 2002 jeep grand cherokee it was simple bout 20 to 25 dollars he got an improvement of 9 miles to the gallon so i hope to get at least 3 would be good to me

glc 06-02-2008 12:13 PM

he got an improvement of 9 miles to the gallon
Where's the BS flag?

cw974x4 06-02-2008 01:40 PM

thats what he said hes got no reason to lie to me as a friend i will see this week and post my results i am sceptical myself but worth a shot cant hurt.

wildbadbill 06-02-2008 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by cw974x4 (Post 3232399)
thats what he said hes got no reason to lie to me as a friend i will see this week and post my results i am sceptical myself but worth a shot cant hurt.

:lurk: :smoke:

chiefFX4 06-02-2008 04:35 PM

i say try it. do plenty of research and modify a kit (or instructions) to meet the needs that you see fit.

like cw said, itll only be like $25 and youve already thought about doing it. i say why not. if i wanted to take the time to build, install, and do the research, i would actually have one on my truck. there has to be some truth to the claim.

my feelings on this is someone has found a way to get something out of one of these systems and most of the other systems on the market are just band wagon jump-ons to suck people dry of money. thats why i said form your own research first.

projectSHO89 06-02-2008 04:59 PM

..now don't make any changes to your driving habits, we wouldn't want any tester's bias to occur....

Which is why any test that is not a randomized, blind, ABA test is pretty much worthless...

FoMoCoFan17 06-02-2008 05:13 PM

A company here locally is installing these.--->http://water4gas.com/2books.htm?hop=savegas411

They said 10 mpg gain for an 04 F-150 5.4 and no gain for an 07 F-150 5.4:rolleyes:

lastorms 06-03-2008 10:16 PM

I've been doing alot of research on these HHO systems lately. Me and some guys at work are getting ready to build a few of these systems and try them on different vehicles. We are all mechanics and have the tools to monitor engine parameters as we test. I'm seeing alot of people claiming 10 - 15 mpg gains so with no more 50 dollars of materials it's worth a try. If it dont work we are not out much.

Shanks12 06-03-2008 10:48 PM

I would love to see the results of these tests... I dont believe it myself, but Will check back to see

Labnerd 06-03-2008 11:51 PM

Installing a hydrogen generator on any engine buys you nothing. Unless you intend to remap the PCM for the different fuel, there will be no gains. SWRC is now testing a unit that has addressed the remapping and engine scans are being performed right now. Street testing in several weeks if there are noticable increases in fuel mileage. Expected increase in performance by the lead engineer.....maybe as much as 5%. Claims by the inventor.....200+%. I guess we'll see in a few weeks if there is anything significant about this particular unit. Cost for installation is around the $1500.-2000.00 mark. You can buy a lot of gas for that. I've never seen any hydrogen unit make any difference at all especailly on a modern computer controlled engine. IF, and that's a big IF, there are any gains to be gotten from it, the PCM compensates and cancels it out. My personal view, you can't take a fuel of half the BTUs( read energy) and expect more out of it. I hope I'm wrong.

cw974x4 06-04-2008 09:21 AM

well guys friday we will all know something i have it installed on two trucks my f150 and a 2000 chevy 4x4 friday i will post results of both to see if it dont work we will all know trial and error never hurt. I have not changed anything like my driving habits still have a lead foot so just so you all know i am not changing what i or how i normally drive.

HillsOttfam 06-04-2008 02:10 PM

Here's an outfit that is working on complete hydrogen fuel system set-ups that are supposed to be capable of simply being switched back over to gasoline when you're away from your hydrogen generator:

http://www.switch2hydrogen.com/

As far as gasoline replacements go, hydrogen has to be one of the better ones. Alcohol just plain sucks, with only 80-85% of the chemical energy for combustion that gasoline has. IMHO, hydrogen HAS to be the way to go. There's GOT to be a reason they send the shuttle up on hydrogen instead of alcohol or gas;)

cw974x4 06-05-2008 03:38 PM

One more day guys and the results i have to admit by looking at my gauge and compareing to miles driven i have to say better MPG will know tommorrow when i fill back up.

wildbadbill 06-05-2008 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by cw974x4 (Post 3237633)
One more day guys and the results i have to admit by looking at my gauge and compareing to miles driven i have to say better MPG will know tommorrow when i fill back up.

:lurk:

lastorms 06-05-2008 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Labnerd (Post 3234965)
Installing a hydrogen generator on any engine buys you nothing. Unless you intend to remap the PCM for the different fuel, there will be no gains. SWRC is now testing a unit that has addressed the remapping and engine scans are being performed right now. Street testing in several weeks if there are noticable increases in fuel mileage. Expected increase in performance by the lead engineer.....maybe as much as 5%. Claims by the inventor.....200+%. I guess we'll see in a few weeks if there is anything significant about this particular unit. Cost for installation is around the $1500.-2000.00 mark. You can buy a lot of gas for that. I've never seen any hydrogen unit make any difference at all especailly on a modern computer controlled engine. IF, and that's a big IF, there are any gains to be gotten from it, the PCM compensates and cancels it out. My personal view, you can't take a fuel of half the BTUs( read energy) and expect more out of it. I hope I'm wrong.

Not all true. You only have to remap if you are giving the engine very large amounts of HHO gas, such as running an engine on straight HHO no gas involved. Most of the "booster packs" being sold and installed only give the engine enough HHO to enhance the burning of the gasoline. Everyone remember that hyrdrogen isnt the only thing being made and burned. Oxygen is also being produced and I thing we all know how much explosive power is in oxygen. :beers:

cw974x4 06-06-2008 08:52 AM

Ok guys on my 97 f150 4x4 i got an improvement of 3.5 mpg the friends truck which is a 2000 chevy 4x4 extended cab got an improvment of 4mpg i am going to do some adjusting of the drip vavle which adjust the amout of hho into the engine and see if i can get anymore but 100% MPG improvement and wort the 20 dollars to build.

wildbadbill 06-06-2008 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by cw974x4 (Post 3238437)
Ok guys on my 97 f150 4x4 i got an improvement of 3.5 mpg the friends truck which is a 2000 chevy 4x4 extended cab got an improvment of 4mpg i am going to do some adjusting of the drip vavle which adjust the amout of hho into the engine and see if i can get anymore but 100% MPG improvement and wort the 20 dollars to build.

did you buy or built your?

efuehrin 06-06-2008 09:58 AM

ya dude can you give some details?

for 20-40 bucks i would put it on my courgar(work car) even if it only adds 1 mpg.:thumbsup:

cw974x4 06-06-2008 12:17 PM

i built it got the plans from a friend dont know how to add the plans as an attachment but could probably e-mail the plans to you my e-mail is cw19974x4@yahoo.com i wont be able to do it till monday so e-mail me and i will try to figure it out

usmc0351 06-06-2008 06:30 PM

This is a website that a few of my engineer buddies found.

http://www.smacksboosters.110mb.com/

It tells you how to build this particular hho generator and everything to do. It even gives you specific part numbers, and pics. The best thing is this guy is letting this information out for free. Two of my friends put a hho generator on their cars and are claiming 3 to 6 mpg's more. It wasn't the smack booster design though. I'm gonna wait until a few more of my engineering boys put the smack booster on their late model vehicles, and run them, before i even attempt to put it on my truck. I'll keep everybody posted on the outcomes.

stevero 07-08-2008 11:14 PM

ive been reading this thread and thought i might shed some light on the subject.I currently have a 2 cell hho generator on my f150 that i have built my self.it has been on my truck for 1 month now and have seen no results i am getting the exact mpg.got all plans from water4gas i have $50 invested and so far cant say that it works.i was getting 14.8 mpg before i started and now getting 14.9 not impressed but im not giving up working on possible fix will post any results

temp1 07-09-2008 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by bigjayzway (Post 3231965)
I have been considering trying out this HHO system everyone is talking about so much.
I have talked to several people and all think it is a good idea.
Only nobody really wants to be the first to try it!
Has anyone on here tried it, or considered it?
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.
:bows:

Yes, I have considered it. The Hydrogen burns quicker than gasoline so folks say the timing has to be advanced. Folks are also building EFIE devices to fool the oxygen sensors because they say burning the hydrogen makes the oxygen sensors think the engine is running lean and the computer adds more gasoline. I think they also adjust the readings from the MAF for the hydrogen also.

The EFIE and MAF electronics is what has kept me from trying anything right now.

Larry

malexander52 07-10-2008 03:58 PM

Wide Band O2 sensor and TUner Software

Many of the articles mention that on OBDII vehicles, one will need to install wideband O2 sensors and re-program the fuel/air tables. Ergo when the sensor shows x voltage, richen or lean the mixture accordingly. With proper HHO generation, more of your exhaust is turned into water vapor with a reduction in NOX and CO. This leads to a higher content of oxygen in the exhaust. This increase in oxygen forces the stock programming to richen the mix, i.e. negating any effects one would hope to gain. There are alos chips that may be purchased specific to your vehicle and designed to be used in combination with the HHO units. It is my understanding these chips merely fool the PCM into thinking the O2 content is much different from what it actually is inevitably fooling the computer into leaning the mix.

sf93 07-10-2008 05:57 PM

I have always been unsure about these setups. The concept seems good but is there really enough HHO gas production for a V8 engine. I looked at the site usmc0351 posted an that unit can only put out 1-1.7 LPM of HHO. I think it might have a small effect on a V8, but is better suited for a 4 cylinder.

Don't get me wrong I am interested and am waiting for cw974x4 results :lurk:

Scruge 07-10-2008 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Shanks12 (Post 3234842)
I would love to see the results of these tests... I dont believe it myself, but Will check back to see

Myth Busters disproved these devices last season I believe.

Breaking water down into its basic atoms, hydrogen and oxygen is about 50-60% efficient. Meaning it requires nearly 1.7 btu of electrical energy to create 1 btu of hydrogen gas.

Now comes the kicker... Your engine is approximately 20% efficient at making electricity, which means it would need to burn 8.5 btu of gasoline to make 1.7 btu of electricity to make 1 btu of hydrogen.
Having gone to all that trouble you now have to burn the hydrogen in the engine to make the car go... Because the engine is just as inefficient burning hydrogen as it is at burning gasoline, your 1 btu of hydrogen is only going to produce .20 btu of power to the wheels.

You would've been better off applying the original 8.5 btu of gasoline to driving the wheels rather than producing hydrogen. The 8.5 btu of gasoline would have generated approx 1.7 btu of power at the wheels. :thumbsup:

FYI.. 1 gallon of gasoline = approx 120,000 btu

sf93 07-11-2008 10:29 AM

Myth Busters disproved these devices last season I believe.

Breaking water down into its basic atoms, hydrogen and oxygen is about 50-60% efficient. Meaning it requires nearly 1.7 btu of electrical energy to create 1 btu of hydrogen gas.

Now comes the kicker... Your engine is approximately 20% efficient at making electricity, which means it would need to burn 8.5 btu of gasoline to make 1.7 btu of electricity to make 1 btu of hydrogen.
Having gone to all that trouble you now have to burn the hydrogen in the engine to make the car go... Because the engine is just as inefficient burning hydrogen as it is at burning gasoline, your 1 btu of hydrogen is only going to produce .20 btu of power to the wheels.

You would've been better off applying the original 8.5 btu of gasoline to driving the wheels rather than producing hydrogen. The 8.5 btu of gasoline would have generated approx 1.7 btu of power at the wheels.

FYI.. 1 gallon of gasoline = approx 120,000 btu
On that episode of Myth Busters they were trying to run that car purely on hydrogen. The devices talked about here are just adding oxygen and hydrogen to supplement some of the fuel being injected to the engine.

Scruge 07-11-2008 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by sf93 (Post 3287213)
On that episode of Myth Busters they were trying to run that car purely on hydrogen. The devices talked about here are just adding oxygen and hydrogen to supplement some of the fuel being injected to the engine.

Episode 53.. scroll town to "Hydrogen fuel cell generator"

..:cool:

sf93 07-11-2008 03:48 PM

Hydrogen fuel cell generator

Hydrogen fuel cell generator: the car started, but it turned out it was due to leftover fuel. They tried again with the residual fuel gone and the car wouldn't even start.

Adam: "My God! It doesn't work! I can't believe it doesn't work. I found it on the Internet, man!"

Jamie rolled a tank of hydrogen gas over and squirted the gas directly into the carburetor. The car started up with the gas, much to the excitement of Jamie and Adam. It was so much fun they tried it again, only to get caught off guard as the gas exploded inside of the carb, ending that particular test.
Just as I said they were trying to run the car purely on hydrogen, I saw that episode. It even says it in the episode notes you were referring to

The car started, but it turned out it was due to leftover fuel. They tried again with the residual fuel gone and the car wouldn't even start.
I have no doubt these devices can't produce enough hydrogen to run a vehicle. It just an aid to enhance combustion.

temp1 07-11-2008 10:40 PM

Just a reminder that hydrogen is explosive and systems that use it should have appropriate safety devices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igGCH8G3Mzk

Scruge 07-11-2008 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by sf93 (Post 3287569)
Just as I said they were trying to run the car purely on hydrogen, I saw that episode. It even says it in the episode notes you were referring to
I have no doubt these devices can't produce enough hydrogen to run a vehicle. It just an aid to enhance combustion.

Actually the episode was about gadgets to improve MPG..

Test devices and additives:

Fuel line magnets: working on the "principles of hydrodynamics," they are supposed to align the molecules for more efficient consumption.
Acetone additive: supposed to make gasoline burn more efficiently
300mpg 'super' carburetor
Hydrogen fuel cell generator: flammable hydrogen gas produced by electrolysis. Adam labeled it "Gasbuster: Stickin' it to the Man"
It was only after they determined the Hydrogen fuel cell generator didn't produce enough hydrogen to run the engine, they then cranked up the experiment with a cylinder of Hydrogen to see if a car could even run on hydrogen.

temp1 07-12-2008 12:12 PM

OK, who is going to test this for me so I can decide if I want to buy one? :)

If it gets 30% increase in MPG i figure that would be about $20 savings per fill of the tank and that it would pay for itself after about 10 tanks or 3000 miles.

http://www.fuelconcepts.com/

The following is my email to them with a couple of questions.

Hi,

I have a 1999 F150 with a 5.4L engine.

I read about the FS 7000 vaporizer unit on your website. I think that the fuel pump on my vehicle energizes when I turn the key to the "ON" position before I turn it to the Start position which would mean that fuel pressure would be present to the FS 7000 unit even when the engine is not running.

If I understand the operation of the FS 7000 unit then it seems to me that fuel would eventually run out the oxygen intake port on the secondary chamber eventually.

Is this what would happen?

It is possible but not probable. After a few moments the pressure shuts off due to engine inactivity.

I did not see any air filter illustrated for the secondary chamber oxygen port.

Does the FS 7000 take unfiltered air into this port?

Yes, the hole is less than 3/32‘s of an inch. If this is a concern simply cover the hole and this should eliminate any concerns without affecting performance.

Thank you in advance for answers to my 2 questions shown above.

Scruge 07-13-2008 01:17 AM

I'd be surprised if it didn't make your mileage worse.

I don't think I'd want it parked in my garage with the raw gasoline being dumped into engine every time it was turned off.

I would also think the ounce or two of gasoline that bleeds off at shut down would effect mileage.

I like the part about the EPA tamper cap.. I'll bet the EPA would rather know why the pos 7000 is releasing all the fuel vapors.

And finally.. they seem to indorse all the other bogus BS..

Does It Work With Other Fuel Savers?
Answer: The Fuel Saver 7000-MPG will work great with other fuel saving products such as magnets, hydro-systems, platinum-system, tornado, high performance ignition systems, etc. If a hydro or platinum units are used, mount these between the Fuel Saver 7000-MPG and the intake manifold.
Based on poor english I'd say its out of China or a state penitentiary.:bandito:

Paradyne 07-13-2008 05:39 AM

Hydrogen generator

Firstly, I have frequented these forums for a few years but have never had an account. I am delighted to find a place where knowledgeable people are willing to share vehicle specific information.

Thank you all.

I have recently installed a Smacks Booster that I made for my truck. I drive a 1997 F-150 standard cab, 8ft bed, 4x4 4.2L with a manual transmission. The lifetime mpg on my truck has hovered between 17.5-18.5 mpg. I have a very light foot and have not been able to break the 20 mpg mark.

After installing the booster, my mileage increased to 22.5. I am considering the install of a second booster, in which case I would like to flash my ecu and/or do some adjustments with my O2 sensors.

The data on this is quite recent, so I am curious to see how this experiment fairs for the long term. I am also wondering about how to winterize the unit for use in the colder months.

My brother also installed one on his 4.6L and moved from 18 to 22 mpg.

I am pretty skeptical of some of the devices and ideas floating around, however after my brother installed it and raved about its success I had to try it also.

The next step is to put together a portable booster and attempt some tests with my LNG powered furnace.

Good evening.

Scruge 07-13-2008 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Paradyne (Post 3289330)
Firstly, I have frequented these forums for a few years but have never had an account. I am delighted to find a place where knowledgeable people are willing to share vehicle specific information.

Thank you all.

I have recently installed a Smacks Booster that I made for my truck. I drive a 1997 F-150 standard cab, 8ft bed, 4x4 4.2L with a manual transmission. The lifetime mpg on my truck has hovered between 17.5-18.5 mpg. I have a very light foot and have not been able to break the 20 mpg mark.

After installing the booster, my mileage increased to 22.5. I am considering the install of a second booster, in which case I would like to flash my ecu and/or do some adjustments with my O2 sensors.

The data on this is quite recent, so I am curious to see how this experiment fairs for the long term. I am also wondering about how to winterize the unit for use in the colder months.

My brother also installed one on his 4.6L and moved from 18 to 22 mpg.

I am pretty skeptical of some of the devices and ideas floating around, however after my brother installed it and raved about its success I had to try it also.

The next step is to put together a portable booster and attempt some tests with my LNG powered furnace.

Good evening.

You'd get better mpg sticking the hose up your crap hole than with that pos.

Go away spammer.