98 F150 has got a problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 98 F150 has got a problem.

i have had this truck for two years. first year and a half, truck ran super. then one day was driving home from work and it started like losing power even back firering. so i decided to give it a tune up, change plugs, wirers, ect. truck ran good for 2 weeks. then it started doing samething, missing very slugish, and the check engine lite was blinking on and off going down the road. (the check engine lite has been on since i bought the truck) this went on for about a month. then i decided to try some injecter cleaner. put that in a day later truck started running great. and has been since. then today i drove it out to install a door (truck ran great all the way there). turn off truck, did the job. then when i got into truck to start up, at first it would try to start, but would not. after about an hour of trying it started right up and idle was perfect. but when apply gas peddle it die's. and thats where i had to leave it. you can her fuel pump when you turn on the key. its a little hard to start, but it does start. thats they only thing if you try to drive it die's. any help would be helping me like you could not imagen. thanks lazer.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:07 PM
have you tried changing the fuel filter?

Old 05-24-2008, 12:01 AM
no, but i will try that first.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lazerblade
no, but i will try that first.
lazerblade- IF it is the fuel filter, be prepared for the possibility of a fuel pump also. When the filter is allowed to clog that severely it puts a huge strain on the pump and many times the fuel pump will need to be changed soon afterward. Not trying to borrow trouble, just a heads up.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:30 AM
thanks code58, iam not sure whats ahead of me but the fuel filter is they only thing at this point to try. but your right, if it is clogged? it could of done some other damage to it.? not sure at this point. but when these people (i fixed the door for.) get up and around iam going to start working on it. i did not like to leave it but the guy said just leave and come back and get it today.

Last edited by lazerblade; 05-24-2008 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:51 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You likely melted/plugged the cats. When the check Service Engine Soon light is on it is time to have the codes read. When it flashes the PCM is trying to tell you that you have a serious problem and to have it looked at. Beg, borrow or steal a code reader and find out what the PCM is trying to tell you.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 05-26-2008, 10:43 PM
well i change the fuel filter, but of course that was not it. so i deciced to throw a fuel pump in it. wahla, it started up ands running great again . GMC, i did drop my cross over but truck still ran the same. but thanks for the info. i know i took a shot in the dark with the fuel pump, but i had to try something. lazer

Quick Reply: 98 F150 has got a problem.