2001 F150 OBDII P1451 Code

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 F150 OBDII P1451 Code

2001 F150 SuperCrew 4.6L with about 110K miles. Recent plug change, new fuel filter, clean air filter, and clean MAF sensor. Three times in the past 60 days, my truck has died while driving in the 25 - 45 mph range. No prior indication, engine just stops running. The normal dash lights come on to include Check Engine. Truck will not restart while rolling in Neutral but immediately restarts once stopped and in Park. Check Engine light does not stay lit but pre-code on OBDII says P1451 EVAP Control System Event Control Ctk Malfunction.

All stalls at speeds easy enough to pull over. Can't imagine this happening at 85 on the Interstate.

Any ideas on what to try first?

Thanks.

Rich

Old 05-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
There's a bunch of threads on this problem; Look what search found -

https://www.f150online.com/forums/se...archid=1706963

Old 05-08-2008, 05:10 PM
JBrew - Thanks.

I've read thru alot of those threads.

One question, would an EVAP system sensor problem cause infrequent stalling?

My Check Engine Light is not on. OBDII did not show a primary code. The "P1451" came up when checking pre-codes.

Thanks again.

Rich

Old 05-08-2008, 05:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Actually - I don't think so. Sounds like you have two separate problems. Haven't heard of the just dieing out one before - except in the earlier diesels.

I don't know about that one. Direct engine kill is a new one on me for that motor. You have any security lights flashing before hand? Maybe a loose fuse block. Any funny noises in the dash ? Smell any burning?

Heres a few threads on that - just using the search bar and typing in "Engine dies" -

https://www.f150online.com/forums/se...archid=1707033

Try searching the "ENGINES" forum only - Go to the right of the page after clicking engines / search this forum only option to reveal the best results from search. There's different ways to search here, 3 ways - That's the way you want to look for your problem.

Last edited by jbrew; 05-08-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Bucs Fan
2001 F150 SuperCrew 4.6L with about 110K miles. Recent plug change, new fuel filter, clean air filter, and clean MAF sensor. Three times in the past 60 days, my truck has died while driving in the 25 - 45 mph range. No prior indication, engine just stops running. The normal dash lights come on to include Check Engine. Truck will not restart while rolling in Neutral but immediately restarts once stopped and in Park. Check Engine light does not stay lit but pre-code on OBDII says P1451 EVAP Control System Event Control Ctk Malfunction.

All stalls at speeds easy enough to pull over. Can't imagine this happening at 85 on the Interstate.

Any ideas on what to try first?

Thanks.

Rich

Check your relays for the pcm and fuel system in the engine compartment.

I had stalling problems at 40k miles on my 01 L, to the point where it wouldn't start anymore, and two 10 dollar relays inside that engine compartment were the culprits.

That may not be your exact problem, but it is something cheap to look for up front.

When my pcm relay went out, I had dashes on my odometer, my theft system was flashing, and no voltage to my fuel pump relay. I could not hear the fuel pumps run to prime the system when I turned the key on.

My fuel pump relay went out a couple weeks later after I had changed the pcm one, which just tells me that Ford had put on some sucky relays on some of their vehicles. They may have corrected the problem in 02.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Daves01L

Checked the relays and all seem OK. I just dunno why it infrequently stalls. EVAP control system problem just doesn't seem to be the reason.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by Bucs Fan
Checked the relays and all seem OK. I just dunno why it infrequently stalls. EVAP control system problem just doesn't seem to be the reason.
I doubt it is the evap system unless there is a sort of safety inside the comp.

Check to see if the relays inside the engine compartment are actually labeled as "Ford" on the top. If they are, then pull one and take it in to Ford and buy a couple and just replace them. If you've never replaced them before, you're not hurting yourself if you do, and for around 10 or 12 dollars each, it wouldn't be just throwing parts at it and guessing. They require replacement at some point, and if the problem is this, you are saving yourself quite a bit of money from a diagnostic check at a dealership.

You're dealing with an intermittant problem, so was I. My relay problem never showed up on my diagnostic tool, and it may never.

I was fortunate that the pcm relay went out first because I was able to swap it with the fuel relay and then start the truck up where I couldn't before, thereby identifying the problem. The fuel relay just took a little longer to die, but catching it this way saved me going to Ford over it.

I have bought a couple extra and put them with my fuse tool kit just to have them in case the problem ever arises again. I will probably change them at 40k again just to avoid it happening.

Last edited by Daves01L; 05-08-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Chances are the wire is broken about 6 inches back from the connector. On the canister vent valve.

tk

Quick Reply: 2001 F150 OBDII P1451 Code