Ughh.. another problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Ughh.. another problem.

So I went to the carwash today, got the truck washed, and was going to vacuum out the interior.

Well when I went to turn my truck off, it sounded like the started was engaging. Hopped back in the truck and tried to start it, which it did, but I could still here the starter turning.

I live 5 minutes away from where I was, so I tried to drive it home... and it was running fine (besides the noise), then it died on me 2 minutes away from my house.

So heres my two questions:
1.) Anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

2.) Since this is my first time purchasing a vehicle (it's a 2005 F-150), what are my options as far as trading it in and getting something else? Like how does it work?

Trade value vs. amount still owed vs. price of new vehicle....? I don't know how it works.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like its time for a new starter. it sounds like the release inside in hanging up. i wouldnt get rid of a truck because it needs a new starter.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:15 PM
If the starter was staying engaged, Then it probably killed the battery form drawing so many amps for such a long period of time.

Old 03-22-2008, 03:22 PM
I would say replace the starter took me about 15 minutes to do mine, but my truck is much older.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Keep the truck & replace the starter! Your wallet will thank you!.....

Old 03-23-2008, 03:11 AM
Originally Posted by shaunakadub

2.) Since this is my first time purchasing a vehicle (it's a 2005 F-150), what are my options as far as trading it in and getting something else? Like how does it work?

Trade value vs. amount still owed vs. price of new vehicle....? I don't know how it works.

That idea does not work. Well not very well in terms of you having any advantage of sorts.

In short, you trade the vehicle back in for a value several thousand dollars LESS than what you are paying, the dealer rolls that difference into your next vehicle payment as well, and you are paying for part of two vehicles while having one vehicle to show for it.

Pretty nifty, eh? Not in my book.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:22 AM
keep the truck, pay it off as fast as u can and keep driving it. thats the only
way u will really get your moneys worth.ive got friends who get new vehicles every 2 years and they always get 4 -5 year loans. they dont understand how they are getting screwed in the long run. of course you will have maintenance issues along the way. thats what this site is for to save you the labor cost . do it yourself.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:51 AM
Really, don't throw away a good truck for simple problems. My starter stays engaged beyond the truck running, a second or so and has for years. This is when it's damn cold outside too mind you. Hell, if it goes, BFD, I get a new one (starter). A good tip is to goop up the red cap on the starter where the electrical connections are in dielectric grease. Saves alot of headaches and resists corrosion big time. Just a tip.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:06 PM
what are my options as far as trading it in and getting something else? Like how does it work?

This has to be the stupidest thing I have ever read. A starter is like $125, just take it to a shop, I bet it won't even cost more than $350, including parts and labor to have a starter installed.

When its time to change your oil you better trade it in. No wait, even better, don't change your oil for 50k miles then trade it in.

Stop making it such a big deal, get it fixed. Things happen, parts are not always perfect. It just one single part, the truck doesn't need to be traded in.

Last edited by Need4racin; 03-23-2008 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Need4racin
This has to be the stupidest thing I have ever read. A starter is like $125, just take it to a shop, I bet it won't even cost more than $350, including parts and labor to have a starter installed.

When its time to change your oil you better trade it in. No wait, even better, don't change your oil for 50k miles then trade it in.

Stop making it such a big deal, get it fixed. Things happen, parts are not always perfect. It just one single part, the truck doesn't need to be traded in.

Who invited the ****?

Get the entire story before you go flipping out on people. If you want to make posts like that go elsewhere.

This will be the 3rd time my starter has failed in under 6 months, AKA the third time I've been stranded on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck. On top of that in those 6 months:

1.) Interior leak - took into dealer 4 times before finally solved.
2.) Cracked caliper
3.) Leaking valve boat

Yes, I know things break... but when it's in a period of 6 months it really started to get annoying. I baby the truck... I'd expect a little more reliability.

I'm not trading the truck, just pondering my possibilities. As for your attitude, suck my *****.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:44 PM
I would say, if your starter has failed three times in six months you should look into the possibility that your starter is not lined up properly with the ring gear. Also if you allowed the truck to run with the starter engaged it could do damage to the ring gear on your flex plate or flywheel depending on your transmission. Another possibility is the quality of the aftermarket starters you have been using. Good luck.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:55 PM
My parents Town car was eating starters. Found a bad flex plate.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not sticking up for Need4racin......but

Who invited the ****?

Get the entire story before you go flipping out on people. If you want to make posts like that go elsewhere.

This will be the 3rd time my starter has failed in under 6 months, AKA the third time I've been stranded on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck. On top of that in those 6 months:

1.) Interior leak - took into dealer 4 times before finally solved.
2.) Cracked caliper
3.) Leaking valve boat

Yes, I know things break... but when it's in a period of 6 months it really started to get annoying. I baby the truck... I'd expect a little more reliability.

I'm not trading the truck, just pondering my possibilities. As for your attitude, suck my *****.
You should of stated in your original post that you were on your 3rd starter and had all the other problems as well. The more info you give, the easier it is to assist you. Best if you give the entire story up front.
After your repost, someone gave you the possible fix.
Unless you bought the truck at a very good price, it's not a good idea to trade it in because you will take a big loss on trade in value, especially with truck trade-ins at this time with the high price of gas. Not alot of people want a vehicle that is getting 15 mpg. The only way your going to get a good value for your truck is to buy a 2008 / 2009 year. They have such a big markup on those trucks they can afford to give you what you want for your truck (within reason) but your still getting hosed in the end. It only looks great on paper.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
im making mine get less mpg... lol anyway, whos starters in there? i picked up my 97 it had a bad starter (it wouldnt retract immediately so it would grind for a split second) i was 16 so soon as i had the money i replaced the starter. been 4 years and never missed a beat. but then i made sure my flywheel was in good shape.

what EXACTLY is failing on your starters? i've seen them shear and wind up below the truck (bronco 2 favorite), most common is the clip/bushing that keeps it from engaging too deep fails/wears out.

Quick Reply: Ughh.. another problem.