Bigger fuel injectors w/ 4.9L?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bigger fuel injectors w/ 4.9L?

I have a 95' f-150, 4.9L EFI (300 I6), 4x4.

I was wondering if anyone has dropped bigger fuel injectors into this motor. I think that the stock injectors is 12 lb/hr. I have seen larger injectors for this motor.

Has anyone done this? Did it work/help with power and did it screw this the computer or completely drain more fuel than it was worth?

Thanks guys! I know you'll come up with something...

Old 03-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RockHound44
I have a 95' f-150, 4.9L EFI (300 I6), 4x4.

I was wondering if anyone has dropped bigger fuel injectors into this motor. I think that the stock injectors is 12 lb/hr. I have seen larger injectors for this motor.

Has anyone done this? Did it work/help with power and did it screw this the computer or completely drain more fuel than it was worth?

Thanks guys! I know you'll come up with something...

That won't help you unless you have other mods like exhaust, cam, throttle body, porting, forced induction, nitros and the like. If you have no mods, you will gain nothing by putting bigger injectors on.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exactly.

There is a lot more that has to be done to a 300 I6 to get power out of it than injectors.

Jam bigger injectors on it. You still have lousy a flowing head and intake manifold and an 8.7 compression ratio. 8.7 is great for forced induction...

Old 03-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry guys,

I left out the part where I was thinking about in a new cam and re-doing the head. I was thinking about doing the injectors but not sure about the results.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Injector sizing centers on what HP per cylinder the motor will make of the airflow it passes.
Increasing injector size does not in it'self make any power; they only have to supply enough fuel at all rpm levels the motor will run at and have the sizing to control fuel delivery for both light load and full power loads without going lean or over rich.
Modifying a motor can allow an estimated realistic power level to determine if the injector size should be increased.
A small increase in injector size on an I6 with Speed Density can be accepted by the EEC but by it'self won't increase power.
On a mass air system, you have to alter the mass air meter output to match the injector size making it a bit more involved for optimization.
Only Diesels power respond to more fuel.
There are other system design items that have to be considered when going to larger injectors.
Fuel pressure may have to be reduced to clear an over fueling issue on cold starts; to clear idle issues should they be too large and meter to much fuel.
Original system design is to operate injection pulsewidths in to 10 to 85% dynamic range.
Once a larger injector is installed, the low end could be closed down to less than 5% where injector metering is no longer reliable for metered quantity.
This is where the lowering of fuel pressure comes in, to force injectors to meter less fuel and allowing them to operate at the 10% +/- levels under control of Ox sensor feedback.
Lots of people ask this question hence the involved reply.
Some will understand, some will not.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 03-17-2008 at 09:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Bigger fuel injectors w/ 4.9L?