Plug Wire Poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plug Wire Poll

Truck 1999 F150 4.6l 4X4 AUTO REG CAB FLARESIDE

Already have ASP pulleys, Ford Racing Lightning style cat-back, AF1 intake. Doing some upgrades with tax return and bonus from work (paying off truck as well) and looking for some help choosing some plug wires. Going with MSD coil packs (not a big fan of Accel) and already have Bosch Platinum 2 plugs. Plan on doing FAL 270 fans and tuner as well. Don't care if people don't like other mod plans just curious on plug wires.

Ford Racing Spark Plug Wire Sets $76

MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor Spark Plug Wire Sets $110

ACCEL SuperStock Spiral Core 5000 Series Spark Plug Wire Sets $93

Taylor ThunderVolt 8.2 Spark Plug Wires $93

JBA Powercables $97

Taylor Spiro-Pro Spark Plug Wire Sets $85

Old 03-07-2008, 11:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
You'll regret running those Bosch plugs in the future - Worst plug on the planet that are suppose to work for the F150 97-03 models.

I don't really care if you don't care about this post - not sure what you meant about caring ? You get what you get and your getting this - because I don't think anyone (besides Mitch) could possibly care enough about their truck when their running those plugs, in that model.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by jbrew
You'll regret running those Bosch plugs in the future - Worst plug on the planet that are suppose to work for the F150 97-03 models.

I don't really care if you don't care about this post - not sure what you meant about caring ? You get what you get and your getting this - because I don't think anyone (besides Mitch) could possibly care enough about their truck when their running those plugs, in that model.
Didn't really mean the plugs as I was in questions about those as well but I have seen tons of post on the aftermarket coil packs and figured I would get burned on that instantly.

Anyways any recommendations on plug wires? Also which plugs while were at it.

Last edited by CRASH7772; 03-08-2008 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:24 AM

Motorcraft wires and plugs. You really don't need any better that - but you could do allot worse

If you increased your HP numbers by say 50% - Then stepping up the ignition might be a thought, but then again - You'll already have a good product in there if your put the correct plugs in. Motorcraft makes a fine wire plug that's most likely able to handle quite a bit of HP , you might have to close the gap once you get up there in numbers. Theres no reason to use others really. Denso's are also nice if you prefer an alternative.

If you want better than Motorcraft wires. I honestly don't know of any. Bosch wires aren't bad, not that I know of anyway. Personally I would stick with Motorcraft unless there was a good reason not to.

BTW - you might want to edit "Bosch Plugs" out of your post - So you get less answers like mine lol

Last edited by jbrew; 03-08-2008 at 12:28 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:27 AM
I have the MSD super conductor wires and their coils. The look good under the hood. My truck does idle smoother than before. As for power im not for sure at this time. Have not had them long enough.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:36 AM
So is all Bosch junk in your opinion? They failures I have seen are the singe ground electrode. I'm running these spark plugs ( http://www.boschautoparts.com/Produc...lugs/Platinum2 ) currently but was thinking about going with Troyers ignition upgrade with the Denso plugs. I don't doubt Motorcraft items but if you can get better for around the same money then why not. I'm not totally stock but I'm not built either. I do plan on doing more down the road but 1 step at a time. I like to upgrade before it becomes an issue.

Novakman, I do like the MSD but just wondering if your paying for the name. I just haven't had good like with Accel items and other than Ford (which I don't dislike) there is only MSD for coil packs. I was also thinking about matching items as well but if I go with Troyer's package he has Accel or JBA's wires only.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:49 AM
Get Motorcraft plugs...i tryed bosch POS plugs all 8 were fouled out within 5,000 miles... then i got autolite double platts... those lasted 10,000 miles... then i said screw it and i got duralast coil packs Motorcraft plugs and wires...because well under the hood of my truck said to!!!...Hey Jbrew this is Another thread that calls for the picture of that sticker under the hood

MOTORCRAFT PLUGS AND FILTERS ONLY!!

Old 03-08-2008, 01:11 AM

Think so ?

Old 03-08-2008, 01:17 AM
Bosch plugs are horrible. I ran them in my truck for three months. On a 800 mile trip to pick up a jet ski, three of the eight failed. One of the worst purchases i have ever made.

Quick Reply: Plug Wire Poll