Replacing COP's on yr 2000 f150 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing COP's on yr 2000 f150 4.6

How hard is replacing the COPs' on a 2000 f150 with 4.6L. I'm pretty confidnet that I can do It but I would like to know what are the stumbling
blocks of the job. As I look down on the heads I can see that they are pretty buried beneath fuel rails and vacuum lines and hoses. Can I just squeeze in there and unbolt and pull them with some elbow grease? Or do I need to remove some things before starting the job?

? #2 I'm taking for granted that you guys would tell me to replace the plugs while im in there right? Ok That stem on the COP is pretty long indicating that the plugs are deep down in there. Any special tools or just a extention and
a plug socket with some duct tape on the end to grab um?

Senior member "jbrew" gave me info to force a code running the "MIL"
but I had no luck on getting the service engine light to come on. So the way I figure and I could be wrong, it's probably cheaper to buy all 8 COPs and 8plugs vs. have the dealer run a stess test and find the one or two that is bad, would anyone agree. The Dealer where I got the truck no longer anwsers my calls or gives me any more help on this issue.

I found Globals ebay page for the COPs but the next question is where to get motorcraft replacements plugs.
Thank you for any input!
1stfordowned

Old 02-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
All you need to do is find the correct metric socket size for the coil hold-down bolts, a 1/4" drive set with some extensions and your set to remove the coils.
They will come out from under the fuel rails with little problem.
Get the right size deep 3/8" drive socket, (I remove the rubber insert), and extension/u joint for plug removal.
Get an 8" piece of rubber heater hose that will fit snug over the plug tip for re-installation so you can feel what is happening. When you catch the threads and run them down as far as the hose will permit, then finish with the deep socket tools.
Grease the insides of the boots's plug end and re-install the new coils.
The grease tends to help the boot slip onto the plugs easy as well as moisture seal for awhile and be easier to remove the next time.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Thanks Bluegrass! Ok good deal, I wasnt sure about that fuel rail. I will get the small ratchet set ready! And the heater hose tip is a good one. Any Ideas on where to get my spark plugs? Haha.
Regards,
1stfordowned

Old 02-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Go to your local Ford dealer, see the parts dept. Easiest way that I know of, unless there's somewhere online you can get them, but this way you don't have to wait. Just take your time during the R&R and you shouldn't have any problems.

Quick Reply: Replacing COP's on yr 2000 f150 4.6