takes a while to warm up

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
takes a while to warm up

Question on the 2004 model of F150...

Now that winter has come it seems to take excessively long to warm up the engine and get heat to come out of the vents. I've read how this could be a plugged heater core but since the engine itself is taking a while I am wondering what else could be going on. NOTE: I can drive about 10 miles accross town and it just barely warms up. Once it gets warm, the engine will cool back off if I stay parked with the heat blasting. My 01 never had this kind of problem.

Would there be a benefit from replacing the thermostat with another OEM style stat? Makes me wonder if this is sticking open just a bit and not letting things warm up right.

Thanks!

Old 01-17-2008, 06:46 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
That will do it!
Take some temp measurements at the hoses to see what's happening.
The other thing you can do until the stat is changed, is block off part of the radiator.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:58 PM
I haven't even looked yet, but is changing out that thermostat pretty easy?

Old 01-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Answered my own question I guess...I just looked and it is right on top of the motor, pretty easy to get to. Hell I had an explorer a while back that it looked like the top of the engine had to come off just to get to that damn thing...

Other thoughts feel free to post them up, I am all ears!!

Old 01-25-2008, 07:23 PM
Well I changed out the stat and still takes a long time to warm up. Maybe this is just how it is when the temp is below 10 deg F outside. Still just doesn't seem right.

I don't think that I should have to plug in the truck inside the garage that is heated to 50 at night so I have a warmer engine in the morning.

I also heard a wine from the engine compartment which after research on google possibly links the noise to alternator bearing or power steering pump. Not a big deal at the moment.

These trucks would warm up faster if ford would take the belt driven fan and allow it to completely disengage when it isn't needed to cool the radiator.

Score this round:
E-fan 1
mechanical fan 0

Quick Reply: takes a while to warm up