MAF cleaning question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAF cleaning question

Hey everyone,

Well did some research and read around here about how to do the MAF cleaning... just for some reason my truck was a little different.

I have an 05 4.6L, and when I went to do it, I removed the rubber grommet on the bottom of the air tube, and realizes that the only thing that did was hold the wires in place and prevent water from getting inside. The wires went right though the grommet, and into the MAF sensor.

Long story short, I couldn't figure out who to remove the sensor from the air tube so I just sprayed the QD electrical contact cleaner onto the wires while it was still inside the tube and assured it dried before I re-assembled and started the engine so I didn't get any cleaner in the intake.

The engine started right up with no hiccups, so I'm guessing the method I followed (or invented) worked quite well.

Anyone have some insight?

Old 01-06-2008, 04:58 PM
shaunakadub. On my 4.2 you can get to the MAF by taking out the air filter. After removing the filter you can see the Maf is held by 2 torxs bolts. Remove the torxs bolts and you clean it that way. Just make sure you drop anything into the air intake tube. Goodluck Ben

Old 01-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by shaunakadub
Hey everyone,

Well did some research and read around here about how to do the MAF cleaning... just for some reason my truck was a little different.

I have an 05 4.6L, and when I went to do it, I removed the rubber grommet on the bottom of the air tube, and realizes that the only thing that did was hold the wires in place and prevent water from getting inside. The wires went right though the grommet, and into the MAF sensor.

Long story short, I couldn't figure out who to remove the sensor from the air tube so I just sprayed the QD electrical contact cleaner onto the wires while it was still inside the tube and assured it dried before I re-assembled and started the engine so I didn't get any cleaner in the intake.

The engine started right up with no hiccups, so I'm guessing the method I followed (or invented) worked quite well.

Anyone have some insight?
'05 4.6L here too, here's how to clean the MAF sensor..

Unlatch the band clamp that gives access to the air filter, remove the filter.

You should be able to look into the intake tube and see the MAF. You can spray it down with the cleaner at this point, just let it sit after spraying for at least 15 minutes to be sure the cleaner has evaporated.

If you'd rather remove it from the intake tube to spray it from every angle then it's a bit of a bitch.. just requires patience.. there are a couple of tabs that you need to depress with a small screwdriver, those are what holds the sensor in the tube.

I think you'd be fine just spraying it without removing it from the intake, just let it dry afterwards. And don't get too close to the sensor with the spray. That thing is fairly delicate, just wet it well with the cleaner, trying to blast it up close is a bad idea.

Hope that helps!

Old 01-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think it will be good

Old 01-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have done it that way several times.
it seems to work fine

Old 01-06-2008, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the info guys!

Was a little worried but it seemed like it wouldn't cause any harm if I let it dry.

Ran the truck over to the girlfriends and back tonight and it performed perfectly, so all is good =)

Old 01-07-2008, 12:24 AM
thats how i cleaned mine, stuff dries almost instantly anyhow, and without residue so i wouldnt worry about it at all

Quick Reply: MAF cleaning question