Should I burn my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I burn my truck?

I have a rusty old '89 F-150 4x4 with the 5.0L, stick trans. Old Blue's been a pretty good farm truck until lately she seems to want to give up the ghost on me.

Specifically, it runs real rough, even after new plugs, maintenance, etc. I have not checked the injectors, don't know how.

The brakes are out and give a Rear ABS light. There's no fluid apparent around the wheels, underneath and no visible broken brake lines. Could this be a master cylinder?

It also need tires and complete exhaust so I'm starting to wonder whether it makes more sense to fix it up or junk it.

Any thoughts on likely possibilities to what's wrong with it? Thanks.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:51 PM
i wouldnt give up on it just yet

your rough idle could be a clogged throttle body, timing could be off slightly, or a sensor could be bad. Any check engine lights on?

brakes dont sound that bad, there's only so many things that can go wrong in your brake system. i would have the brakes looked at by a mechanic, and try to work the rough idle thing out yourself. do some searching on this webiste and you might find some possible problems/solutions.

if your truck is running ok but has a few minor problems, put some more cash into it and keep on truckin!

Old 11-15-2007, 01:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as running rough, it could also be bad wires, misrouted wires, wrong firing order, etc.

ABS light just means the ABS doesn't work, not that the brakes don't. For bad brakes, brake fluid could be bad, brake lines could be bad or soft.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by Kent in KC
I have a rusty old '89 F-150 4x4 with the 5.0L, stick trans. Old Blue's been a pretty good farm truck until lately she seems to want to give up the ghost on me.

Specifically, it runs real rough, even after new plugs, maintenance, etc. I have not checked the injectors, don't know how.

The brakes are out and give a Rear ABS light. There's no fluid apparent around the wheels, underneath and no visible broken brake lines. Could this be a master cylinder?

It also need tires and complete exhaust so I'm starting to wonder whether it makes more sense to fix it up or junk it.

Any thoughts on likely possibilities to what's wrong with it? Thanks.
Well, don't give up on ol' blue. None of us like the outcome of ol' yeller!

That truck has many wonderful years left on it. It is well worth the price of finding the problems and fix'un er' up!

Old 11-17-2007, 09:36 AM
my 88 had same problems, rough idle and stalling
clean the idle control, it's a small valve on top toward the back of the eng. ( carb cleaner) to free the needle inside

my abs controler went bad - replace and bleed the brakes

it's mounted under driver seat area on frame

Old 11-18-2007, 01:30 PM
Ill buy it for $400.

They are easy to fix, if you have the time.

Try
fullsizebronco.com

The f150 and bronco is the same thing, just different bodies.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

maybe look for another and make this one a parts truck

Quick Reply: Should I burn my truck?