Mod Suggestions - 2005 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mod Suggestions - 2005 5.4

So, i've got a 2005 5.4 supercrew... 3.83LS rear end... 22k miles....completely stock and *under factory warranty*

It is a daily driver... about 8 miles a day M-F. On the weekends, i'll occasionally tow a loaded PUP camper. The truck rides nice, performs *ok*, but I get the impression that these things are seriously undertuned...

Throttle response is kinda sucky, and WOT when hopping on the freeway or towing up hill seems like the engine isn't living up to it's potential.

So, ultimately, my goals are:

1 - Improve the throttle response and power delivery for daily driving.
2 - Maybe get a couple extra MPG
3 - Improve tow performance & low end torque.

Without starting an EDGE vs. Troyer flamewar, what do you prefer and why? I am thinking that I like the edge simply because of the digital gauges (monitoring tranny temps are a good idea when towing), and i don't need to squeeze every HP out of the motor...

Also are there any bolt ons that you would recommend to get this motor up to par? I understand that CAI kits are recommended, but I have heard folks complain about lean conditions on the late model 5.4's.

Finally.... what are the warranty implications of any mods to the truck? A CAI kit is easy enough to pull off if warranty work is needed.... Can the supertuners be removed from the vehicle without a 'trace' of them ever being present?

Also.... I used to wrench years ago (late 80's->early 90's), so engines are not a scary place for me....

TIA

Last edited by smentzer; 09-25-2007 at 07:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Mod Suggestions - 2005 5.4