Oil pressure spike???

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil pressure spike???

I have a 95 F150 with about 140,000 on it. It has the 351 engine. About 2 months ago the oil pressure gauge spiked all the way to the max. So I replaced the oil pressure sensor (or whatever that $9 piece of plastic is called) and it seemed to work fine.

Then a couple weeks ago it did the same thing. I replaced the sensor again, but this time the pressure was still spiked. So, I changed oil and filter and the pressure went back to normal.

Today, it spiked all the way up again. I shut it off for an hour or so, started it again, and now the pressure is fine. I think it must be something electrical, but I am not sure. Do you folks have any ideas?

Is there anything else electrical that could be causing the gauge to spike? I assume a short would cause it to go to zero, not to the max.

Is there any possibility it is mechanical? It doesn't seem likely because the pressure doesn't gradually rise, it goes from normal to pegged out instantly.

Any advice would be great. I'd like to check the electrical out first before I try to put a mechanical gauge on the block due to the difficulty of getting to the oil pressure sensor (drain the coolant, pull off about 4 hoses, and be double jointed to reach it)

Thanks!
-JR

Old 09-13-2007, 12:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you not using cheap *** fram filters are you???

Old 09-13-2007, 12:59 PM
I had the oil pressure spike on my ranger years ago right after an oil change. Defective Motocraft filter, not saying anything bad, shet happens.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:55 PM
I've been using some Fram and some Napa Gold. What would you recommend for a filter?

I can change it again, but the fact that it will spike and then go back to normal has me thinking it is an electrical signal. Not to mention that it doesn't slowly increase pressure, but rather just redlines with no warning.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure spike???