Wet Engine "Gunked it"

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 07:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wet Engine "Gunked it"

Hey Guys,
Ok did something stupid yesterday. I gunked and washdown my engine like I did on all the cars/trucks I owned. I have a 2004 F-150 FX with the 5.4L engine. At times she cranks and sometimes she doesn't. Constantly diconnecting the battery to reset the computer to see if that works. Also on my gauges are saying Check Gauges. When she cranks she won't start. Then if I shut the key off she won't crank again. Someone told me I might of fried the PCM on the firewall. Is that possible? Any idears I would greatly appreciate it!!!!!!!
John

Old 08-16-2007, 08:09 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by johny74
Hey Guys,
Ok did something stupid yesterday. I gunked and washdown my engine like I did on all the cars/trucks I owned. I have a 2004 F-150 FX with the 5.4L engine. At times she cranks and sometimes she doesn't. Constantly diconnecting the battery to reset the computer to see if that works. Also on my gauges are saying Check Gauges. When she cranks she won't start. Then if I shut the key off she won't crank again. Someone told me I might of fried the PCM on the firewall. Is that possible? Any idears I would greatly appreciate it!!!!!!!
John
Hey.

The idear is ta research this first, THEN screw it up LOL! Thar be LOT of posts on this issue here, lemme tell ya!

Try pulling your COP's and boots, & blowing out any moisture that got down in the spark plug wells. Reapply some dielectric grease. PCM is a sealed unit; unlikely you'd have fried it - could possibly be water in other connectors in the bay too. Need to dry it all out REAL good. Also - you could have cooked a COP or two - but I think it would have at least run (chitty).

Don't tell me you used a pressure washer too! Jeez.

Won't do THAT agin, will ya!

Here - check these out:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...=washed+engine

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...=washed+engine

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ht=wash+engine

Good luck.

bubba

Last edited by MGDfan; 08-16-2007 at 08:14 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:14 AM
sounds kinda like PATs system but it is possible that your PCM got wet. have u taken a look at it??

Old 08-16-2007, 03:31 PM
I've had good results using an air hose or a leaf blower after washing the engine bay.
My trick was then giving it a light spray with silicone protectant, the blowing it off again.
The hoses & wires love that stuff & it tends to displace any trapped water.
-Bill

Old 08-16-2007, 05:40 PM
Here is how I do it. #1 spray engine with simple green, wait a few minutes and hose off. #2 spray engine with WD40 wait a few minutes and spray off. #3 completely blow out all water with air hose. Will look like new. I just did this a few weeks ago and it works well.

Quick Reply: Wet Engine "Gunked it"