Both banks lean...Any ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
Yea , frams spring ball PCV has a smaller opening vrs the factory OEM Motorcrft PCV valve. The Ford dealer carries them - the only place around here.

I'm not sure about the Actron question - I would just reboot.. I'm not sure how the actron works .
I'll have to grab one at the dealer next time im there.
Oh the Actron is the brand name of the code reader I use.
Reboot = erase trouble codes?
:o

Old 09-25-2007, 10:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by JTDEERE
I'll have to grab one at the dealer next time im there.
Oh the Actron is the brand name of the code reader I use.
Reboot = erase trouble codes?
:o

I know what it is - just not sure of the capabilities . Yea , it erases data , but does it reset the KAM ?

That's why I would reboot - for relearning mode.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:54 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Reboot = Removing power from the PCM for a sufficient period of time so that the Keep Alive Memory (KAM) resets. Takes around 15 minutes. For your 98, pull the 5A fuse in the min-fuse box under the hood. Most will suggest pulling the negative battery cable, however, doing only the fuse keeps your radio and clock settings.

When rebooted, the PCM uses stored baseline values for many parameters. The adaptive strategy then tweaks them as you drive to optimize them for your specific vehicle.

The Actron does NOT clear KAM, it only resets fault and readiness data.

Steve

Last edited by projectSHO89; 09-26-2007 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Reboot = Removing power from the PCM for a sufficient period of time so that the Keep Alive Memory (KAM) resets. Takes around 15 minutes. For your 98, pull the 5A fuse in the min-fuse box under the hood. Most will suggest pulling the negative battery cable, however, doing only the fuse keeps your radio and clock settings.

When rebooted, the PCM uses stored baseline values for many parameters. The adaptive strategy then tweaks them as you drive to optimize them for your specific vehicle.

Steve
Ah ha. I'll do that. Thank you very much!
I always hated reseting my clock and radio presets. I like that fuse idea. Is there only one 5 amp fuse under the hood? I'd look but its pouring outside.:o

Old 09-29-2007, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by projectSHO89

Steve
I couldnt find the 5A fuse under the hood, only like 10amps and up
????

Old 09-29-2007, 10:36 AM

I couldnt find the 5A fuse under the hood, only like 10amps and up
????
That's because in the 98 - The 5amp mini fuse for the KAM is under the dash, middle row, 2nd up from the bottom.

Under the Hood - it's a MAXI 30amp fuse.

They changed in 99, that's what Steve's refering to - prolly forgot they reworked it.

Last edited by jbrew; 09-29-2007 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:45 AM
That's because in the 98 - The 5amp mini fuse for the KAM is under the dash, middle row, 2nd up from the bottom.

Under the Hood - it's a MAXI 30amp fuse.

They changed in 99, that's what Steve's refering to - prolly forgot they reworked it.
Oh crap, i just pulled a 5amp fuse i found in the tiny fusebox under the hood with only two little fuses in it. Guess ill go put that one back in and pull the right one then. lol
Will the 30amp MAXI do the same thing?
Thanks!

Old 09-29-2007, 10:52 AM

Oh crap, i just pulled a 5amp fuse i found in the tiny fusebox under the hood with only two little fuses in it. Guess ill go put that one back in and pull the right one then. lol
Will the 30amp MAXI do the same thing?
Thanks!

Yea , do you have the little manual that's usually in the glove box when you buy the truck new. If you don't have that manual you can download it @ motorcraft.com

You pulled the trailer lights fuse I beleive.

It's 24 under the hood.

Last edited by jbrew; 09-29-2007 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:00 AM
I finally pulled the right one under the dash, then I looked it up in the manual to see what it said... something about PCM, something else and something about a timer. I'll plug it back in when im done here and see how it worked.
Thanks a lot jbrew!

I think i'll just pull the 30amper under the hood next time since its easier to get to.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:36 AM

No problem . I usually pull both - don't know why , just do. When it doesn't want to calibrate right I touch the neg to the pos cable on the battery - that's the ZAP the pram trick.. Actually , just another way to reset the KAM.

Sounds funny, but , I'm serious and I wouldn't post that if it wasn't safe.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:40 AM
No problem . I usually pull both - don't know why , just do. When it doesn't want to calibrate right I touch the neg to the pos cable on the battery - that's the ZAP the pram trick.. Actually , just another way to reset the KAM.

Sounds funny, but , I'm serious and I wouldn't post that if it wasn't safe.
Haha whoa thats funny!

Old 10-15-2007, 07:44 AM
Yea, I think your talking about this one Steve -

Do you think this part would also fit a '03 Ranger w/4.0? It looks like the same one. I have mine patched with duct tape which covers a gaping hole in the elbow, and of course it's a dealer item and the nearest dealer is 30 miles away. If I knew this was the correct part, I purchase it on the internet. If I have to drive to get it, fuel may cost more than the part!

Old 10-15-2007, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by Ken Roberts
Do you think this part would also fit a '03 Ranger w/4.0? It looks like the same one. I have mine patched with duct tape which covers a gaping hole in the elbow, and of course it's a dealer item and the nearest dealer is 30 miles away. If I knew this was the correct part, I purchase it on the internet. If I have to drive to get it, fuel may cost more than the part!
That part was pretty cheap. Not sure if it will fit the Ranger though.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could use a different style connect or rubber hose for that.
most important thing is to get vacuum without leaks

Old 12-13-2007, 09:17 PM
Okay, get this... i want to erase my Keep Alive Memory like I did a few months ago (see above.) But I cant remember exactly which fuse I pulled. I pulled the 5amp fuse like I said I did last time (middle row, second up from bottom) under the dash and it didnt reset anything this time, even after an hour. My check engine light is still on. Was I supposed to dissconnect the battery also?? Im lost.:o

Quick Reply: Both banks lean...Any ideas??