Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 01:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advice

Has anyone ever heard of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, 15 U.S.C. ss 2301-2312? I was getting my truck inspected and I saw this poster in the shop at Kwik Kar saying that when you put after market parts in your truck or modify the engine or w/e, Ford can say that they can't fix it because of the mods you did. However, it said that if this happens, you can tell Ford or GM or whoever to replace the aftermarket parts and restore everything to factory free of charge, and then fix the problem if it still persists. I don't know if this is true or not, maybe just some scam the shop was trying to pull to get people to do things and not worry about it at all?

Old 08-06-2007, 03:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you've taken it upon yourself to modify your vehicle then I SERIOUSLY doubt that you can have the dealer un-do anything you did free of charge.

Old 08-06-2007, 04:45 AM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
The ACT hasn't been fully stated.
Basicly it means for example if you were to change the muffler/tail pipe to an aftermarket unit, that the dealer could not blame that change for a failed radiator, cylinder missfire or some other unrelated fault and has to show proof that it was the cause, if it was. This would be quite unlikely under normal conditions
Another example is an aftermarket/ other vendor '''OEM'''' type replacement filter could not be the cause of an EGR failure etc.

Be careful in some of these areas because for example an intake filter that requires oiling can be the cause of Mass Air meter malfunctions being downstream and getting coated with the oil out of the filter. This would be cause of rejection of repair responsibility by a dealer and would be correct to do so.

Quick Reply: Need some advice