fuel pressure regulator?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 4wire, heated O2's. one wire for the heater - that is used to get it up to temp (600 degrees) quickly so you don't wait until the pipe gets that hot. While you are waiting, you are not getting feedback from the O2; rather the pcm is reading values from a table stored in memory. Same thing happens at WOT. Another wire is for the signal voltage, between 0 and 1, averaging around .45v. The other wire is for a 'reference voltage" of 5 volts and apparently is the same for many electircal components. The last wire is the ground.

The pigtail is to look at the reference and ground. I can datalog the switching voltage with my Xcal2. Here is a graph of some of the parameters I have monitored:

The black graph shows the proper O2 activity. The red show the (then) lazy O2 (not really the O2 but something affecting it).

I love our van - V10, plenty of room and power. You can put a full size lazyboy recliner back there without the rear seat and still have room for everyone. But these little things like steering brakes and climate controls are getting a bit annoying.

Oye.

Last edited by waterman308; 08-06-2007 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:40 AM
Originally Posted by waterman308
I have 4wire, heated O2's. one wire for the heater - that is used to get it up to temp (600 degrees) quickly so you don't wait until the pipe gets that hot. While you are waiting, you are not getting feedback from the O2; rather the pcm is reading values from a table stored in memory. Same thing happens at WOT. Another wire is for the signal voltage, between 0 and 1, averaging around .45v. The other wire is for a 'reference voltage" of 5 volts and apparently is the same for many electircal components. The last wire is the ground.

The pigtail is to look at the reference and ground. I can datalog the switching voltage with my Xcal2. Here is a graph of some of the parameters I have monitored:

The black graph shows the proper O2 activity. The red show the (then) lazy O2 (not really the O2 but something affecting it).

I love our van - V10, plenty of room and power. You can put a full size lazyboy recliner back there without the rear seat and still have room for everyone. But these little things like steering brakes and climate controls are getting a bit annoying.

Oye.
I think maybe I should have gotten the Xcal myself, as I have no way to datalog my own truck. It looks as if your entire O2 plot(red) shifted up to 1v and up, whether it is the O2 or the PCM reading it, I take that is causing the rich mixture.

If your van's drive system takes a fall, and you consider selling it off, maybe you could do a V10 swap!

Old 08-07-2007, 07:54 AM
I would love to have that V10 in my Ex! Unfortunately, I want a happy marriage too. My wife loves that van - 6 kids + 90lb golden retriever + junk = no problem. Its a great vehicle for our large family. Just need to buckle down and do it. Maybe take a day o rtwo off from work.

The Xcal is a great tool, though the pc software is a little dated. However it works. If you don't need or want to do a custom program, I believe there are other tools that will just read/datalog. The only problem with being able to peer into the innards of the vehicle is that now every little blip becomes a question and then a worry. It's like I've become a Ford Truck hypochondriact

Old 08-07-2007, 08:07 AM
I would love to have that V10 in my Ex! Unfortunately, I want a happy marriage too. My wife loves that van - 6 kids + 90lb golden retriever + junk = no problem. Its a great vehicle for our large family. Just need to buckle down and do it. Maybe take a day o rtwo off from work.

The Xcal is a great tool, though the pc software is a little dated. However it works. If you don't need or want to do a custom program, I believe there are other tools that will just read/datalog. The only problem with being able to peer into the innards of the vehicle is that now every little blip becomes a question and then a worry. It's like I've become a Ford Truck hypochondriact
Oh, I understand about the family, but only if you HAD to sell the van(for parts) and you just happened to remove the engine and tranny before the rest sold!! Only as a last resort. Cant hurt to dream.

I might need to call TP and as them for what they would recommend for a home dyno datalogger.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:10 AM
I got the XcalII from them. 3 tunes (I really only use 1) + the unit. Can tune, datalog and read/clear DTC codes. Very nice to just walk out into your driveway, plug 'er in and get /clear the code.

A bit pricey for the tunes, but the truck drives so much better, with better power. Add-ons after that only make it even more betterer

Old 08-08-2007, 08:24 AM
I got the XcalII from them. 3 tunes (I really only use 1) + the unit. Can tune, datalog and read/clear DTC codes. Very nice to just walk out into your driveway, plug 'er in and get /clear the code.

A bit pricey for the tunes, but the truck drives so much better, with better power. Add-ons after that only make it even more betterer
Ya, my superchips micro tuner could read and clear codes and now my Scanguage II can do the same. The datalogging is the only capability I dont have at the moment.

Quick Reply: fuel pressure regulator?